Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

New Home Cabling

My son has moved into a new home in an area that is still on Telstra.

There is no cabling however the NTD has been installed to house and there is conduit with pull-through to kerb side of the footpath. The pit is about 1 meter further from the footpath.

Telstra turned up on the designated move-in day (Nov 17) and the Technician said that he could not touch it as the conduit did not go to the pit. My son was told that Telstra would contact him within 3 business days, which they did not.

He contacted Telstra who said they would send someone out. No appointment time was made. After another week passed and further calls to Telstra with no solution in sight, he contacted the TIO. A telstra person responded quickly and he was told that a Telstra person would attend today (Dec 6) in the morning to see what is required. My son took another day off work, at a very busy time for him, but no one showed up. His pregnant wife is very stressed by the mess and has also racked a large excess data bill on her mobile.

I would like to know why Telstra has no interest in the public perception of their service. Naturally at this stage, my son would prefer to connect with someone other than Telstra, and will at the earliest opportunity.

Why cannot simple things like a new connection not be done with professionalism and expertise in a reasonable time frame? Do you really not care about your customers at all?

On Friday it will be 3 weeks since he should have been connected and after endless hours on the phone with Telstra, there is still no resolution in sight.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: New Home Cabling

Hi ScrawnyRooster, my apologies for the frustration and I trust this can be sorted out for your son soon. While we're not able to access accounts or make changes to services directly via posts on these forums, we can help follow up with the consultant assigned to his complaint if you can let us know the case number in question (normally beginning with 'SR-1') or any other reference details from his recent contacts. Our teams on 1800 895 319 would also be worth contacting regarding any conduit or lead-in work for the address.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Greg and the number, However, he rang the number you gave and they told him that the cabling was already complete which is clearly not the case. There is no cabling in place only the conduit and pull through that goes to the property boundary but not the pit.

Quote "I called that number. Another dead end.

Gave me the same story about the cabling work being completed when it hasn’t.

I don’t know how many times I have to tell them that the cabling work hasn’t been completed for them to realize that it isn’t done."

He has an order no. 33618648 and AFR no. 17385582 for the cabling works. I hope someone can help to get this moving - he needs this line.

Thanks again for your help Greg.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

HI ScrawnyRooster,

I'm sorry this has turned out to be such a frustrating experience, that's nit good at all.

Via this third party unsecured medium we have minimal account  access & can only look up an SR case number & sometimes an INT one, do you happen to have either of these?

It's also possible you son may have an email from his case manager which contains a 'get back to me' link & he can use that to request a call back.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

My son rang the number provided by Greg and the first response was the same as previously, however they rang back later and told him that they could see the cabling was not there and they would organise something.

He was contacted by a contractor ( via SMS )shortly after to say that they would be coming to install the cable. So this is the first time that anyone at Telstra has acknowledged that cabling is still required. He is relieved that possibly things are moving forward.

I hope that this is the beginning of  new install with a clean ending. The distance from the end of the conduit to the pit was 1.1  meters. A professional would have either fixed the problem or advised him how to proceed at the first installation appointment. This must be a regular occurrence for Telstra. Why is there no path forward mapped when it pops up?

At least his family’s pain will be over soon (I hope), so thanks to Greg and Angela for responding and I will advise when the connection is complete.

Highlighted

Well today a contractor turned up and has apparently completed the conduit with pull through to the pit.

So, I guess he is now at the point that he is ready for a standard install. Hopefully sometime soon, though no one from Telstra has contacted him yet. Does he need to call the cabling number again?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update. Has this matter been followed up on since your post? 

Highlighted

He now has an appointment for next Monday, hopefully for a straightforward install. I will advise when he is connected.

Highlighted

Well, a Telstra guy came today and installed the cabling and the phone is now operational, however the Adsl has not yet been provisioned.

How much longer would this usually take?

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more