Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

New House - Pit installed but no cabling

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me here, or at least put my mind at ease with some information.

I have just built a new house in Bullsbrook, WA, 6084. The suburb is not new by a long shot, but where my house is, is a new development in the area.

The rest of my street has existing phone lines / ADSL capability etc all installed and operating. The house next door to me even has phone lines and all that jazz.

In the new development however, there are no lines. So around 16 properties on the entire street have no lines whatsoever. It took me a lot of stuffing about to find this info out (applied for a bundle, and that got cancelled and now have a new 'held order' for a phone line first), but I know now that there is no cabling.

This is the bit where I get confused.

When the techs came out to connect up our new phone line about 4 weeks ago, they said that there is conduit and Telstra Pits all the way along the street down to the 'post' (i think they called it). Unfortunately, there is absolutely no cabling in the already laid conduit and pits. They did confirm for me that my house is cabled up, and the cable from my house leads into the pit but is obviously just not connected to anything.

Telstra has given me a new order number (I don't have it right now, but have it written down at home), which is the order for my new phone line. 

Nobody at Telstra can give me an ETA of when the cables are going to be run, I've been told just about every story I can imagine (from they are waiting for approval from the Shire, to dunno just wait and we'll call back next month).

Is anybody able to explain how long this process should take? Last I heard, it's in the hands of the 'networking team', but that means absolutely nothing to me. What are my chances of getting a phone line this year?

If having the order number will make life easier, I can reply back with that info tonight.

Thanks.

Will.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: New House - Pit installed but no cabling

Hey Wallace44,

I had the same issues with my place. Cables installed throughout the brand new house and connected to the pit out the front, however, some bright spark forgot to connect the pit to the rest of the network. Took 3 months of persistent calling to get a trench dug and the pit connected to another pit so I could get service.

Going into a Telstra won't help, as the staff there state you have to call. Don't pay a cent for the service as they will credit your bill to when your service is finally active.

Good luck!

JC

Highlighted

Riight.

Best part is they've done all the digging already. They have connected my pit, to all the pits up the new part of the road - with conduit all the way up the road... but no cabling.

I'll just have to start harassing them...

Nice to know i'm not alone I guess Smiley Happy

Thanks.
Will.
Highlighted

Sorry to hear mate. All the best with the calling!

Fingers crossed you get an fluent english speaking operator who emphasises your situation!

JC

Highlighted

Telstra is absolutely useless. There is no ETA for installation, and they are telling me now that 'they have to decide whether it's worthwhile even running the copper'.

That's fair enough, but if it wasn't worthwhile - you should have decided that BEFORE YOU PUT THE PITS AND CONDUIT IN!!

I am not one to bash by keyboard, but I am so disappointed with Telstra. The fact that not even an ETA has been set, is pathetic to me.

I understand I'm not the only person in Australia waiting on a phone line, but still - the rest of the street already has services (actually, my next door neighbour on one side is fine, the one on the other side is in the same problem as me). To run it for another development doesn't seem like a huge ask to me.

So at this stage, I'm trying to clutch at straws for other services with half decent usage allowance for internet. 3G (I even get 4G on my Telstra phone service) is available, but 20gb is the biggest I've found and just isn't going to cut it.

Vivid wireless doesn't have coverage, Microwave isn't available.

So very disheartened. Telstra so very disappointing.

Highlighted

So I lodged a complaint with Telstra, because I wasn't getting anywhere.

Got an email today asking for my contact details (I won't go there). So I eventually get a call back, and they put me through to the 'enhanced orders team'.

I get put through to the enhanced orders team and get told 'we don't have an ETA blah blah blah'.

I was then told that there wasn't even a project to complete the work. To which I asked, if there is not even a project, how did you manage to get people out to dig the pits in etc.

Now all of a sudden, after getting fairly upset with the poor lady on the phone, there is a team she can email to get an actual update of works and what is going on.

The complaint still hasn't been handled very well, but why does it take me getting upset and logging a complaint to get an answer out of them.

Anyway, let you all know what happens, if anything.

Has anything happened with this Wallace?

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more