Mpanda
Level 1: Cadet

No lead in cable for a frustrated consumer with a hearing disability

To whom may concern,

I am writing to you about on going prolonged issue and after been on the email as well phone to my Internet service provider Internode, Telstra, Real estate company Blackburne, it still has not been resolved nor made much progress. It has taken up a lot of my time to try sort this out while I don't have the authority/means to contact the builder and strata due to my real estate agent managing this property.

Since I got the keys to my apartment on 23rd of December, 3, 4 weeks later.. it still hasn't made any progress with telephone fixed phone line / connection installed to my premises. Therefore, this is my last resort to contact you guys to try resolve this soon as possible before I go take it
any further and report this problem to Australian Disability Support
Commission, Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman and ACMA if I have no alternative option.

This is extracted from a fact sheet. (ACMA's website - http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Consumer%20Interests/Information/pdf/Telecommunications%20equipment%2...)

Provision of the standard telephone service

The Telecommunications Act 1997 and the Telecommunications (Consumer Protection and Service Standards) Act 1999 is the Commonwealth legislation that guarantees access to the STS. This guarantee is known as the universal service obligation (USO).

The USO requires that people with disabilities have reasonable access to voice telephony, or an equivalent form of communication if voice telephony is not practical. This is consistent with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, which makes it unlawful to discriminate against people with disabilities when providing goods and services.

Under the current USO arrangements, Telstra is the universal service provider. Telstra's obligation to provide the STS to everybody includes supplying customer equipment for use in connection with the STS if requested. This means that Telstra must give its customers the option of leasing equipment appropriate to their need.

Phone provides must also:

- ensure people who are hearing impaired or cannot communicate using
   voice have access to a fixed line service
   - set and meet timelines for connections, fault repairs and meetings
   with customers and pay compensation if they fail to meet those deadlines.

For your knowledge and why I have stated above regulations about the customer's rights to telephony service is because I have profoundly bilateral hearing loss in both ears, I am 100% deaf and hearing impaired. I have proof and medical certificate of my disability which I can provide if requested. I am starting school tomorrow for a $5,000 IT scholarship course I'm studying and paying for out of my cost that requires a internet connection and for my hearing, learning and well-being needs too. It's been frustrating to not know what's going on or when Telstra technician is coming in to commence the work in pit, I wasn't informed that there was no lead-in copper line from our premises to nearest pit before moving in this apartment and still have not been informed with any information or updates on timeframe of when this will be commenced.

I had my concerned licensed telcos electrician friend come in other week to have a look for me and he informed me there is no lead in cable whatsoever and that both of our nearby neighbours do have it in their own pits. He stated that it has a pipe and trench already installed down under the ground of our premises, the only thing that is missing is the lead in copper line that's
not hooked up and running to our MDF box from nearest pit/street.

A working MDF jumper box and data points has already been installed in our 'Alto apartments' (26 Little Walcott, North Perth) when I moved in however there is no active connection / working phone line service due to no lead in network cable and copper line running from the nearest pit/street to our premises (MDF)

Any more updates or info about when this will be resolved. That would be
greatly appreciated.

Thankyou for understanding.

Kind regards,

Miranda Raffaele

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: <provisioning@ticket.internode.com.au>
> Date: 19 Jan 2017 6:09 AM
> Subject: [ticket.internode.com.au #12338892] Residential | R7510234 |
> NodeLine | Held Order
> To:
> Cc: <mirandasarahraffaele@gmail.com>
>
>
> Hi Miranda,
>
> We are attempting to contact you today as we require additional
> information from you to proceed with your order.
>
> Our wholesaler has advised that the property belongs to the developer or
> builder and therefore, are unable to perform work on the site without
> authorization.
>
> To obtain registration, the builder or developer will need to register the
> property on the Telstra Smart Communities website
> https://www.telstra.com.au/smart-community to obtain an AFR (Application
> for Reticulation).
>
> Once the AFR has been obtained, please contact Internode Provisioning on
> 1300 300 509 so we can forward this information onto our wholesaler.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Fiona
> Customer Service Representative
> Internode Service Delivery
>
>

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No lead in cable for a frustrated consumer with a hearing disability

Your problem is that the developer/builder hasn't lodged the paperwork to get the apartment complex connected (Telstra need permission from the owner to access the MDF).

You will need to chase that up through your Real Estate Agent as the contact point with the owner. Telstra will not be able to proceed with connection works until this paperwork is submitted.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mpanda

How do you know this? This is my real estate's reply on 20th of Jan.

Mpanda

Hi Miranda, please see below from strata with an update:

Hi Sarah – further to phone conversation on Wednesday I can advise the contract was received yesterday from Telstra which was signed and sent back to them same day. Invoice received from Telstra this morning – we have paid by EFT. Telstra confirmed they will fast track once the money is in their bank. The strata manager is to contact them early next week and ask for anticipated date of installation.

Will let you know when we have more information.
Mpanda

10 days later.. nothing has happened.
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If your service provider of choice is Internode you would have to work with them. Telstra Wholesale can only be contacted by ISPs so your ISP would then work with TWholesale to try and get the connection done but if they have had issues with the strata manager it would be considered outside their control, the USO and CSG have exceptions for things outside of the wholesale providers control.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter

My response was based on what you posted. Nobody here has access to your account or details as this is a public forum and most of us here are just customers like yourself who try to point you in the right direction.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more