swaroopa
Level 1: Cadet

No phone line from main street to property boundary

Hi All

I purchased a block of land last year and this is behind another block. This means my property boundary is not connected to main street. There is a common driveway from main street to my house and that is shared by three neighbours.

My question is who is reponsible for trenching and cabling phone line from main street to my property boundary. I have not been able to connect a phone because there is no telstra pit nearby.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: No phone line from main street to property boundary

Hi swaroopa 

That responsibility rests with yourself as the property owner. So you'll do all the trenching ( or pay a contractor to do it) and once it's done you've got to have a Telstra approved contractor come out and quote/ lay the cabling to connect you up to our network. 

The Telstra approved contractor can come out and let you know where you need to trench - which might be useful in this case - as there may be a shared path you can use that your neighbours cabling also uses. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

swaroopa

Hi Steph

Thanks for getting back to me. To my understanding, a property owner is sonly responsible for trenching and cabling insde the property boundary. Trenching outside the premises is subject to land access code requirement and is Telstra's responsibility.

This is what said on the two of the following documents.

1) Cabling of premises for telecommunications, telstra id 017153a02, page 23.

2) 017153a07 - Telstra Lead In Trenching Requirements, page 6, section 7.5

Would you please clarify further. Thank you.

ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Swaroopa,

I'd recommend contacting our pre provisioning team on 1800895319 between 9am-5pm AEST Mon-Fri

They'll be able to discuss what's required & either liaise with a contractor on your behalf or provide their contact details so you can call yourself to have this arranged

Apologies for any inconvenience or confusion caused. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

swaroopa

Hi

Got a call from Contractor today, but no good sign though. Still insisting me to organise a trench from my boundary to main street (which is about 40m). Contractor was not willing to listen. Just said whatever Telstra said, they stick to their point.

It would be hard for me to dig such a long trench under concrete driveway, which is neither my property nor any body corporate in it.

Looking for your help

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more