Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Phone line connection for new block of units

Hi,

I'm wondering if I have to pay the $299 connection fee?

The units are just over a year old,and I live just outside Brisbane. I have about 5x cat 3 outlets in my unit. There are 46 units in total in the building.

Whats the go with the connection fee? I'm hearing conflicting stories everywhere.

It seems to me that its to connect from the exchange to "the premises". With a unit block, is the building considered "the premises" or is each of the 46 units considered a "premises"? Does this mean every single unit owner has to shell out $299 to connect internet/phone? This seems absurd to me, so hence the question. I have been told that I would need to pay it, but I know other people have phones connected in my unit block.

Shouldn't it be only for the first connection? We have an elevator that has a phone connection with Telstra, so there has to already be one connection at least!

Any help or understanding would be greatly appreciated... I was looking at Naked ADSL so I didn't need to have a home phone, but I've been advised that I'd need to get a home phone service as well?! I don't understand why getting Naked is so ridiculously nonNaked!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Phone line connection for new block of units

With a unit block, is the building considered "the premises" or is each of the 46 units considered a "premises"? Does this mean every single unit owner has to shell out $299 to connect internet/phone? This seems absurd to me, so hence the question.

A separate connection fee applies to each basic telephone service (which, for the purpose of this discussion, can be taken to mean a ‘land line’ with its own unique phone number) that needs to be connected. If you want three telephone services on your premises (i.e. unit) alone, then each will incur a connection fee, regardless of whether it is at the same service address and/or have the same legal lessee. The connection fee for each service may vary, depending on the amount of work and physical cabling required.

If you want more specific information, please refer to section 3.8 in Part A – General in the Basic Telephone Service section of Our Customer Terms.

I was looking at Naked ADSL so I didn't need to have a home phone, but I've been advised that I'd need to get a home phone service as well?! I don't understand why getting Naked is so ridiculously nonNaked!

You do not need an active telephone service (for which you pay a monthly access/plan fee) in order to have Naked ADSL service. You do, however, need a physical ‘phone line’ – i.e. twisted pair connection to the copper access network infrastructure, which is (also) capable of carrying voice traffic on the PSTN – in order for ADSL service to be delivered to your premises.

Telstra will only connect telephone services but do not sell the infrastructure to consumers, so you cannot just request Telstra put in a phone line for a fee; Telstra will install the necessary infrastructure, including wiring up to the network boundary point – that being the main distribution frame (MDF) of a building with multiple dwellings or premises – when a customer requests a basic telephone service, which (i) Telstra, as the sole universal service provider under the Universal Service Obligation (USO), must connect upon request, and (ii) is usually delivered over twisted pair copper.

Once there is a twisted pair copper connection to your premises, you can get Naked ADSL service delivered over it, if there is an ISP that has its prerequisite equipment installed at your local telephone exchange and can offer you an available port. You can cancel the basic telephone service from Telstra without impacting the Naked ADSL service.

TL;DR – Naked ADSL frees you from having to maintain and pay for an active telphone service on a monthly basis, but any form of ADSL will require a physical phone line to your premises, so you should not expect to be able to get out of paying for the initial connection fee.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more