Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Phone or Cable?

Dear all,

I rent a property and want to move my plan into it. I was told by Telstra I need to pay $299 for a new phone connection There are several phone sockets on the wall and it is not a new house. I undertand this doens't mean it has a phone connection. Anyway so I changed to cable plan, as I found a Foxtel wall socket in the house. Now I am waiting for the cable modem. But I just found there is a sattalitte dish on the roof, I am also wondering if the Foxtel wall socket is connected to the salltalitte dish.

I checked from the street, I found a wire connects a Telstra box into the house. I just attch the photos of the box and the wire (red circle) here. Could you help me to recognise if it is a phone wire or Forxtel cable?

Many thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Re: Phone or Cable?

It is a bit difficule to tell from the photo.

Have a look at this photo:

http://optics.michaelwyres.com/mg/l/mg000345.jpg

Below the power lines are two cables, one with a brown box and one with a white box, these are typical of the cables that carry cable internet / foxtel. If the cable to your house is connected to one of these then it will probably be a cable connection. ( that is assuming that the cable is not burried underground which happened in a few suburbs)

If the wire that runs to your house is running up the white conduit and to your house then it is probably is the telebhone line.

What happens if you plug a telephone into one of the phone sockets in your house? Do you get dial tone?

Highlighted

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't open the link to look the photo as "request to a non-existent page".

I plug a telephone into the phone socket, I couldn't get any dial tone.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Sorry, my bad

Try this one

Here is the image I was trying to show you:

cable_internet2.png

The top wires on the cross arms are power, the bottom two cables on the closest pole are the Telco cables. You will see wores running directly from these to the houses, These are Cable TV / Internet connections.cable_internet.png

Highlighted

Thanks Alan_B. It is still difficult to distinguish it. But  it looks more close to TV cable.

I will try it later when I receive the modem.

Thanks again,

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more