Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Poor internet

How to boost internet signal between tower and my house?

We have very poor wireless modem internet like many who live near Dural/the Hills area NSW. 

We used to get 25mbps download for the first 8 weeks when we moved in, the last 6 weeks have been less than half a mbps consistently. I’ve used Telstra and now Optus, makes no difference and Optus staff can’t return phone calls over the past 6 weeks - going to the Ombudsman next

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: Poor internet

Hey rob,

Are you on NBN fixed wireless?

Highlighted

No, wireless mobile modem from Optus, Nobody in our area has access to anything else, apparently we are waiting for NBN fibre which is still some years away. 

Highlighted

Ahh I'm sorry to hear that usually optus is pretty good I used to use them before I switched to Telstra for mobile service

What sort of speeds are you getting now?

I think optus has some sort of guarantee with their home wireless so you might be able to get a credit applied?

Also make sure you raise a complaint with them first or the ombudsman will reject you

Highlighted

HI MarethyuAS,

Speeds are not above half of 1 mbps download, usually 300- 400 kbps.

Optus can see my account is very long with all my calls over the past few months and their notes taken etc. I do not intend to pay for my non internet service. They have given me their first credit.

I've spoken to an aerial technician today who has suggested an aerial on top of my roof then going inside to modem, we know where the tower is (Dural electricity/power station) but what we don't know is how much traffic is on that tower from time to time, I think a lot since mid December last year. Know anything about satellite internet....? Thanks for your responses.

Highlighted

if you're looking for Satellite try nbnco.com.au as they do list who provides the service it is usually quite expensive but the speeds can be really good when it works but being satellite signal strength & quality can sometimes be an issue  

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Rob10111 wrote:

How to boost internet signal between tower and my house?

We have very poor wireless modem internet like many who live near Dural/the Hills area NSW. 

We used to get 25mbps download for the first 8 weeks when we moved in, the last 6 weeks have been less than half a mbps consistently. I’ve used Telstra and now Optus, makes no difference and Optus staff can’t return phone calls over the past 6 weeks - going to the Ombudsman next

@Rob10111 The ombudsman, a.k.a the TIO, cannot do anything about the signal strength. All they can do is deal with getting you are refund if Optus refuses. Which as previously mentioned, you have to raise an "official' complaint first through their dispute procedures.

Being that this is a Telstra support website you will have to check with them what that is.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Check your address at https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/rollout-map if you are lucky, you are in the brown area on the map, in which case you will be getting FTTC within the next 4-6 months.

If not, your only option with the NBN is SkyMuster.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more