Level 3: Gumshoe

Subdivision Telecommunication connection requirement

Hi there,


I am currently building 2 houses on a block in the Monash council area so require subdivision before selling one. (unit 2).

Just recently i had a lead in line connection through the underground pit and also another cable for whenever foxtel and a phone line is organised (for both units). 

I had organised this through Telstra but it looks like they sent this to an external small telecommunications company to sort out instead.



Does it make sense for council to require telecommunication requirements that i must order a phone line for each house for it to pass the subdivision requirements? It confuses me that i need to pay $299 for unit 2 and an ongoing $30 a month phone line when i will never be using the service. I've tried to talk to council but still feel unclear.


The last thing council told me was: "You do need to organise to have a line to the boundary at minimum and get the provider to sign the form that says it is there".


What do i need telstra to do to get this approved by council?


Thank you,


Was this helpful?

  • Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Subdivision Telecommunication connection requirement

I would suggest checking out this:
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Subdivision Telecommunication connection requirement

Hi Chris2016

Whilst I can't comment on council guidelines - I can say it's possible to get a connection to the boundary without needing to connect a service. 

Just call us on 13 22 00, and ask to speak with our Pre-Provisioning team. They'll put you in touch with the Telstra Contractor for your area, who'll get in touch and provide a quote to arrange the boundary connection point. They should also be able to provide you with documentation to confirm the installation has been completed. It won't need you to connect a service, and pay a monthly charge for a property you aren't residing in.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Subdivision Telecommunication connection requirement

thanks for that!

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more