motherteresa
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to make outgoing calls from home phone

My new Telstra Bigpond home connection can't make OUTGOING calls when I set it up with a Billion 7800 VDOX dual-band router.

Internet and incoming calls are OK.

Phone is a Uniden X Dect R005+1.

All equipment has worked fine separately, so I'm guessing it's the modem settings.

Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Unable to make outgoing calls from home phone

Have you setup an in line filter. One side plugging in your phone where it says phone and the other the line to your computer?

Something like this in pic below:

Filter.png

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
motherteresa

Yes, as per the modem-router User Manual instructions:

ADSL - DSL port

Phone - Line port

Is this filter likely to be a problem? Or not having one?

DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Well Motherteresa we might need a little devine internention here .... oops ... couldn't help myself with that one.  As an experiment can you try without the filter just to see?

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
motherteresa

Doesn't seem to make any difference. Wouldn't this affect incoming calls as well?

I'm still thinking modem settings - does anyone know how to find out what these should be for Bigpond?

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi motherteresa, 

I will flag this one with out tech team, who can get back to you by Monday Smiley Happy 

Ivan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

MotherTeresa,

If you can make and receive calls without the Billion modem connected, then the first step is to make sure that all of the equipment is configured correctly. The following link provide an explanation on what we are looking for: http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/How-to-perform-an-Isolation-Test/ta-p/5501...

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

motherteresa

Hi Shelly

Yes, I have done this and everything works perfectly - including the internet when I then connect to the Telstra modem.

So what I seem to have proved is that the Billion modem in its current configuration won't allow me to route outgoing calls via the PSTN line (according to the Billion Help Desk, there should be no additional settings required - supposedly I just need to use a dialling prefix when making outgoing calls via PSTN, ie *11# before the number - this did not work).

When setting up the Billion modem, I used my Bigpond username/password which enabled the internet to connect OK (with both frequencies on this dual-band modem) - and incoming phone calls also came in via this modem.

Prior to re-connecting with Telstra, I used this modem without problems as a single VOIP line + dual-band internet.

Also the modem firmware is up-to-date - which I re-installed just to make sure.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You are trying to connect the phone through the modem?

BigPond do not currently support VOIP services, and I would refer you to contact a private computer tech or Telstra Platinum on 137 587 for assistance with configuring the Belkin so that you can utilise VOIP.

The exception to this is customers on the NBN with T-Voice Advanced.

- Shelly

motherteresa

I realise that Telstra don't support VOIP.  This modem is supposed to do both VOIP and PSTN - this is why I bought it. I want to have a land line through Telstra and, in addition, a VOIP line and number later on with another provider (for business).

I already have a Uniden phone that is capable of working with two phone numbers.  Maybe I should try to connect Line 1 directly to the incoming Telstra line (bypassing the modem) and connect Line 2 through the modem for VOIP? (It's a Billion modem, not Belkin, by the way)

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You will still need to contact a private computer tech for assistance with this unsupported configuration. 

P.S. It seems that when I went to type Billion, my fingers clearly had other ideas and said Belkin instead. 

- Shelly

Moving Home

We can help you move your existing Telstra services or set up new ones at your new address.

Find out more