Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

4G Network Issues

Over the last few weeks, I have been having issues with Telstra mobile network.

My iPhone 7 Plus (updated to latest iOS) has been intermittently losing network connectivity. It will show full bars and 4G, but gets no response from any 3G/4G request. A power cycle of the phone is the only thing that fixes the issue.

However, the fix may only last an hour (if that) and the issue returns. The only time I notice there’s an issue is when I try to do something and there’s no response.

It doesn’t seem to be location dependent as it has occurred at different areas of Melbourne (CBD and various suburbs). 

Mostly, it is data related issues (no streaming, no response) but last week, I also had problems with calling out, which was fixed only after the phone was power cycled.

I have read it on the internet and found out that I am not the only one with this issue. I have been paying top $$$ for my premium Telstra service but currently not in a position to proudly say I am a Telstra customer. 

Please help (apart from asking me to waste my time replacing my SIM etc.)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: 4G Network Issues

It is a problem with iOS 12 (and the bugfixes that have been released) LTE connectivity that is quite widespread worldwide (although it doesn't affect all iPhones uniformly).

Unfortunately the cure is to wait for Apple to release an update that actually fixes the problem.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

If that is the case, it should impact all the users on that iOS version. But I have got second Telstra device on my account, which is on the same iOS version and has no connectivity issues.

Be in mind, operating system is already updated to the most recent version.
Highlighted

Please note, that is why I included the comment "although it doesn't affect all iPhones uniformly", as is doesn't affect all iPhones. For some reason, it is an issue that is only affecting some iPhones. And when I say "some", I don't mean some models, it is some phones across all models running iOS 12. Your experience with 2 iPhones running the same iOS version is the perfect example. If it was a Telstra network issue, then both phones operating in the same location would be expected to show similar issues.

A simple google search will show you hundreds of examples across the world, and it has even been acknowledged by Apple, they just haven't figured out what they need to do to fix it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Jupiter,
So in the mean time, what should I do, given the fact that my handset is still under warranty for 2 years with Telstra.
I can't go to Apple as one year is already up.
Highlighted

It's not a warranty issue as such. It's an Apple **bleep** up issue. You need to put pressure on Apple.
As it is almost certainly a firmware issue, Telstra will not be able to identify a fault (plus it gets sent to Apple for assessment anyway). The best Telstra can do is send it away to Apple who will reset the phone, reload iOS and send it back, which may, or may not resolve the issue for the time being.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Please show me the article where Apple acknowledges that it is an issue with their iPhones (an actual apple article).

The issue is not only on iPhones but extends to Samsung devices as well - from what I have read in another forum (whirlpool).

Why is it when I try a Vodafone sim in the iPhone X it works on their network?

Is it really an iPhone X issue?

Personally I think it’s telstra f@&king around with configs on their network to restrict different data profiles and they don’t know wtf they are doing.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more