Craznar
Level 4: Private Eye

5G Abysmal Performance

Answered

I have a new iPhone 12 Pro Max, I'm right next to an active 5G tower, I get 4/4 bars on 5G, I've turned "5G On" and "Maximum 5G data usage" on my iPhone and I've turned off WiFi.

I'm getting 5g off peak (3am) speeds of around 100-200/10-20Mbps 

I'm getting 4g off peak (3am) speeds of around 300-450/40-60Mbps

Tower location : Carindale Shopping Centre (QLD)

My location : Across the road from said tower.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: 5G Abysmal Performance

Hi - I have discovered a few things about the Apple iPhone 12 series that may have influenced your recent speed test experiences. Apple released a special software update for all iPhone 12 only models yesterday -14.2.1 Build [18B121] - in this YouTube clip from a highly experienced Apple reviewer, he outlines some of the fixes, one of which includes a comment about the internal 5G modem but no detail.

1] Apparently, if you have an active dual SIM configuration, the iPhone won't currently lock into 5G mode.

2] In order to preserve battery consumption which is high on 5G, the iPhone uses "Smart Data Mode" and will connect you to LTE, even if you have favoured the 5G setting, if the speed estimate on 5G is not as good as 4G. Perhaps that is what happened with you - the signal strength on 5G was lower than 4G where you were located at the time. 

3] There is an "Allow More Data on 5G" setting for video and streaming services however it will consume more battery. 

4] Field Test Mode doesn't appear to work for 5G mode as yet, it is structured for 4G LTE readings and explains why we couldn't see a trace of a 5G 3500 Mhz signal. Perhaps addressed in the iPhone 12 software update 14.2.1 or later. The reviewer refers to the Apple 12 software as Beta and forecasts 14.2.2 and 14.2.3 will follow before Christmas as Apple address some other known and other issues as they arise. 

5] I read an article this morning which stated that 5G uses different measurement nomenclature - it has the prefix SS, CSI or NR in front of RSRP, RSSI,RSRQ and SINR, so not sure if Apple will adopt the same format.

6] According to a Telstra Exchange article, Telstra state that their 5G is in early stages of testing and capable of fully working in Standalone 5G mode when in good signal area - data and signaling communications are operate independent of 4G infrastructure if the device is capable.

7] I updated an iPhone 8 (3G/4G LTE only) this morning - the invitation said 14.2.1 was ready, however when it finished after 30 minutes, it only showed as 14.2 vs 14.2.1 Build No. for iPhone 12 models only shown in the video. The iPhone 8 Field Test Mode Menus have been updated with additional information categories compared to my iPhone 6 which is stuck on software 12.4.8. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRYcX9dyJU

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
59 REPLIES 59
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

From reading the available documentation on the Carindale Shopping Centre transmitter, it looks like it is an In-Building coverage setup. The antennas are in the ceiling of the shopping centre itself. Can't confirm that there is an external 5G antenna setup on the roof.

It would also depend on where you are located. If you are over the other side of Carindale St, then you would receive far better coverage than if you were across Creek Rd or Winstanley St. Partly due to distance and partly because the shopping centre itself gets in the way.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Craznar

Thank you .. however I get 4/4 bars on 5G solid... wouldn't that assume that I'm close enough to get a solid 5G connection?

Jupiter

Well, even to get 200Mbps requires a solid connection. There are just too many variables at play to work out what is happening.

Would help if there were more results with different model handsets.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Craznar

SO - I have a solid connection, why is 5G unperforming 4G by such a large margin given it isn't  a tower resource issue?

Jupiter

As I said, too many variables to know why. Have you tried your phone at a different 5G location (the leagues club up the road has a tower), do you know anyone with a different brand 5G phone who could run a speedtest at your location?

Trying to identify what the problem is (tower vs phone capability) based on a single test (by that I mean using 1 device in a single location) is impossible. It could be that your phone isn't great on 5G (be it designed capability, antenna fault, firmware issue) or that the backhaul available to the 5G transmitter is limited. The 5G transmitter could also still be in commissioning phase and not yet working at full capacity.

Sub6 5G also isn't blisteringly fast compared to existing 4G in the real world (bandwidth limitations). The best I have squeezed out of my Note+5G is 578Mbps download in Melbourne on 5G, and 450Mbps on 4G. A lot of the time 4G is faster. That's partly because the 4G network is in a more mature state.

When 4G was first rolling out, it was quite common for 3G to be the better performer. You just couldn't get a stable 4G connection to save yourself (even at full bars).

Craznar

I don't know of any other accessible location with 5G (I checked all the ones I can get to and none of them are so clearly 5G as where I am. I don't know anyone else at all.

And again - I'm comparing 4G vs 5G at the same site in the absence of resource (bandwidth etc) issues.

In essence - I just want to know if I should keep my phone, or not ... if I have to wait another 6 months for 5G to get better that's fine, but having a non 5G phone for 2+ more years is not.

Jupiter

The tower at the Carina Leagues Club is 5G enabled.

What difference does it make if you have a 5G phone or not? If you get rid of it, you just have to pay for it and a new non-5G phone (most new phones coming out are 5G enabled anyway). In your case, you look like you have excellent 4G service anyway. Do you really have a need for even faster speeds, or are you just buying into the hype of 5G?

You can stream a 4K movie on 100Mbps easily. Gaming might be a bit better on a 5G connection as it has lower latency generally.

The true benefit of 5G is around connected systems (IOT devices, M2M monitoring and control), not for most mobile phone functions (browsing, videos, games).

5G will improve gradually over the next few years, just like 4G did.

Craznar

I just paid $1800 for a 5G phone that I'll have for at least 2 or 3 years, it matters greatly to me if that phone does 5G.

I've also determined that their are two Carindale 5G points, one is a 30Mhz band (likely the one internal to the shopping centre) and one 60Mhz band (likely the one I'm feeding off).

So the question I'm asking ... again is how 5G at maximum reception can perform so abysmally.

That is - there is something wrong, either in Telstra's implementation of 5G or in Apple's implementation of 5G.

I want to know which - so I can take appropriate actions (e.g. returning the phone etc).

So far Telstra tech support just keep telling me I'm not in a 5G area, which is factually incorrect (even according to their own online maps).

Jupiter

Your phone does work on 5G. You have already confirmed that.

In order to make any other assumptions on what is going on, you will need to do further testing (ie go close to the league's club and see if the speed you get there is any different) and preferably find someone who has a 5G compatible phone that isn't an iPhone and see if they get different results to you at the same location and time.

Until you do that, there is nothing else we can help you with. We simply don't have any information to do extra troubleshooting with.

Craznar

No - I have yet to confirm if it will work on 5G (it currently does not).

As for information - the specific tower, the full strength signal, the failure for 5G to work even at full signal strength ... the only remaining question is where is the fault.

Hint : I know what the issue is (many other people have had it and Telstra has fixed it) ... however I can't even convince Telstra I'm even in a 5G zone, let alone get them to apply said fix.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

There is nothing to fix

The 30 and 60MHz are not the frequency band. If they are correct, it refers to the width of the band and the capacity, Not the transmission.

If you really want 5G without  the issues new adopters endure, on an immature technology and network,  leave it for at least 2 or 3 years as the upper frequencies are still being used by other services and not yet vacated, auctioned, bought and installed.

You are going in circles and the 5G being promoted is regretful.

If you are able to, set your phone to 4G LTE and enjoy what you get.

Another year is the absolute minimum minimum at this point of time.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Craznar

You seemed to have missed the fact that there IS something to fix, that's why I'm posting here.

30 and 60 are the bandwidths, not the bands.

So - once more with feeling.

5G isn't working - I just want to know if it is a problem with the phone or with the network (i.e. Apple or Telstra).

I am in perfect conditions for getting 5G to work properly - and it is NOT working properly.

SteveW_52

You seem to be not reading what people are telling you - 5G is at the bleeding edge at present, it is not mature by any stretch of the imagination, but is being heavily over promoted in the quest for sales and market share.  

@ProfessorPhone  did say it was the width of the band..  

Your iPhone is 5G capable but at present not working to its fullest because of network immaturity.

What are you basing your expectation on for the 5G performance that you feel you feel you should be experiencing?

You seem to have only tested from one device to one possible 5G base station (which is internal to Carindale and probably not fully implemented..  what RSSI's are you seeing? not bars - those can and are manipulated by firmware to look good. As has been suggested, at least try another base - the Carina Leagues site is outdoor and not far away - it is worth visiting there, preferably with someone else with a 5G phone so you can do some comparisons?

if you know what the problem is (as you say you do), enlighten everybody and if you know already, why are you asking here (and not listening)?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
ProfessorPhone

You have several very experienced people here who volunteer their time for no reward.

We are not on Telstra's side, it's just that between the 3 of us trying to assist you is collectively well over a full lifetime of experience.

We are not Telstra staff, who, from prior personal experience, are a target for some people.

Let me put it gently to you......

For many years.....On Melbourne ABC radio every Saturday morning,   the late head of the RSPCA 

(a highly experienced  veterinary surgeon) would answer pet health problems from listeners who rang in.

He did not mince words, even though he had a heart of gold.

One morning when a lady would not accept what he was trying to have her accept, he gave up and said:

"Madam, the problem is not with your cat, it is with You."

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Craznar

I'm waiting for some helpful advice, advice like your car can only go at 10km/hr is NOT helpful.

People asking what I expect ... merely what Telstra promised me, or maybe even half what they promised me, at least the same as 4G ... when I've got perfect conditions for use of 5G. 

No I don't expect it to be like that all the time - but I don't expect it to be abysmal all the time either.

So - there IS DEFINITELY a problem with my 5G service - that's a fact, all I need to know is it Apple or Telstra, so I can take appropriate action. I managed to drive around to all sides of the Carindale tower, and the problem persists.

SteveW_52

Testing over and over at the same site (which may be problematic) will not produce a magic result..  try testing at another site so you can really compare things, try different handsets as well..  which is what you are being told repeatedly..  driving around one tower will not tell you much at all - except maybe where the antenna lobes are

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Craznar

Same results at the locations marked in red, yes - even the one marked in red not in the 5G coverage area gave me the same results.

I'm just using the home site because it has perfect conditions for use of 5G, the other sites have all sorts of obstacles, distance etc in the way.

AS for different handsets - I'm not rich enough to be able afford multiple handsets.

SteveW_52

The Telstra coverage maps are a generalised, desktop study, projected, map of what is expected. No 'real' full coverage is done until well after sites are fully commissioned. This can be seen by the same performance you are getting on the hill leading away fro the shopping center towards the city which is outside the Telstra map.

The consistency of performance this shows, would indicate at first glance without real RSSI numbers to review, that the site is not fully commissioned yet. I think you might just be looking at the reception bars on your device, which are not always 100% truthful. You should be able to download an app (something that is brand agnostic) which will give you more accurate and meaningful real RF data on the 5G band that you are actually connecting to. As explained before to you, the different 5G bands will perform differently.

To assess network performance you need more than one set of samples - as also suggested try to find someone with a Telstra 5G handset of different brand (or even just a different brand 5G device that you can put your SIM into (if it is not an eSIM). 2 sets of data will help you by comparing results.

What you show here would not convince Telstra that their network is under performing nor Apple that their device is a dud. Your research prior to purchasing the device should have shown you the sort of performance you would get in the real world (not information from Australia necessarily but 5G is 5G everywhere)

Are you using Dual SIM at all? because at the moment the iPhones and Pixels have trouble with that setup AND 5G used together.

Stevo 52
Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

The consistency of performance this shows, would indicate at first glance without real RSSI numbers to review, that the site is not fully commissioned yet.

If I could get confirmation of that - that would be end of my query, because then I could just wait for 5G to turn up properly.

@SteveW_52 wrote:

To assess network performance you need more than one set of samples - as also suggested try to find someone with a Telstra 5G handset of different brand (or even just a different brand 5G device that you can put your SIM into (if it is not an eSIM). 2 sets of data will help you by comparing results.

That's not possible, however I can confirm a number of people having the same issue as I am at other locations on the same device.

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Are you using Dual SIM at all? because at the moment the iPhones and Pixels have trouble with that setup AND 5G used together.

No - I did all the research on how to test things, and if a short distance line of site to a 5G tower giving full signal strength is incapable of getting even half of what 4G can do, then that's objectively a problem.

My research showed me that in perfect conditions I should be getting 1Gbps, even though I'm running in pretty much perfect conditions here - I'm not expecting that. Generally people said that 5G in practice was no better or worse than 4G. Telstra advertised my specific device as being capable of 1Gbps, and continues to do so.

So yes, I researched it over the last year or so, and right now - getting under half 4G performance in the perfect environment is obviously a problem.

So I return to the hunt to find out if I need to return the phone, or wait for Telstra.

SteveW_52

An acquaintance used to use a iPhone 11. He tells me that the iPhones had a field Test mode which showed real signal information..  he is not sure if the 12's have it but he thinks they would (he is now an android user). You might want to research iPhone Field Test mode before trying it (I am unfamiliar with Apples)

With an active cellular connection (5G or 4G in your case)

Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone and enter the following number exactly: *3001#12345#* and press call.. (check that number carefully and research first to be sure it is correct).

The Field Test mode should appear, tap on the band you are connected to/using and in the next menu select Serving Cell Meas.. and follow the instructions  you should see something like 'rsp0' with a number against it which is the cellular signal level in dBm. if you do see that, walk around a bit and it will change even if the bars don't.. somewhere in the information available, you should be able to see which band you are currently on and also the next adjacent cell information (this is used when handing off from one cell to another)..

There are other things you can access in that mode as well..  but that is up to you.  Have fun but be aware that I have not tried this (no iphone  Smiley Happy) so the risk is all yours.

You might also look for an app like Network Signal Info  but make sure it will work on 5G..

Stevo 52
Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

With an active cellular connection (5G or 4G in your case)

Open the “Phone” app on your iPhone and enter the following number exactly: *3001#12345#* and press call.. (check that number carefully and research first to be sure it is correct).

The Field Test mode should appear, tap on the band you are connected to/using and in the next menu select Serving Cell Meas.. and follow the instructions  you should see something like 'rsp0' with a number against it which is the cellular signal level in dBm.

On the HOME tab of those diagnostics all I get is LTE and MISC entries.

On the list view - I only get LTE with Ota Msge, Servinc CellInfo and Rach Attempt underneath it).

Not sure how to interpret it.

Craznar

@Jupiter wrote:

Your phone does work on 5G.

Catch up for the reality denier : 5G isn't working properly, and I'm aiming to find out if there is a problem with Telstra or with Apple.

SteveW_52

As I said, I don't use Apple stuff, so it was untested by me..  on Android there are other apps that provide the same information with out having to go deep into the OS like that..   there might something similar for the iPhone 12, or there might be a different code to get in and have a low level look  - just isn't something I am familiar with..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Servinc CellInfo would be worth having a look at..  

Stevo 52
Craznar

I don't know what Servinc Cellinfo is, but whilst googling it I found a site that helps explain my iPhone diagnostics.

Seems like the following are important:

rsp: -100

dl_bw : 50

dl_freq : 3148

ul_bw : 50

ul_freq : 2148

freq_band_ind : 7

phy_cell_id : 480

channel_type : DL_DCCH

Not sure what some of those things mean though.

Various sites say -100 is bad, and ok, and not so bad - but to me -100 is bad (given the range is -40 to -120).

SO is it possible I'm not even connecting to the tower right in front of my house, and I'm connecting elsewhere ? Now I know Apple's signal strength thingy is faulty, the only explanation is that Telstra's 5G tower across the road from me isn't where I'm connecting??

Getting somewhere thanks to a couple of responders - thanks for the help.

SteveW_52

Yep..  you need to know the cell id's near you..  but just because you can see a tower, doesn't meant that is where you are connecting - that's mobile comm's for you - there are many many factors involved..

Put your phone in 4G mode and do the same tests and see what you get - comparison is the key to it..

Stevo 52
Jupiter

The red dot on Old Cleveland Rd that is outside of the coverage area does not support 5G yet.

The dl_freq and ul_freq that your phone is reporting are odd. The dl_freq doesn't correspond to any band that is in use in Australia (5G should be in the range of 3300-3800) and the ul_freq corresponds to one of the 4G transmitters at the shopping centre. Try downloading an app called Cellmapper, it gives really good and useful results.

I have never seen anyone get close to 1Gbps in real life on any 5G device, anywhere. The best I've seen is close to 600Mbps. You will have to wait until mmWave 5G starts rolling out at the end of 2021 before you see the ultrafast speeds (but not an an iPhone 12 series phone that is sold outside the USA - they're not capable of using mmWave)

Mkrtich

Hi - I think the Apple iPhone screen information is difficult to understand and requires a lot of looking at web researching.  In Carindale, on my iPhone 6 4G connection, I get similar information as you which initially did not make sense. 

Freq Band = 7, DL Freq 3148 , Cell 462, UL 21148, Bandwidth DL and UL both at 20 Mhz.

Measured RSSI -114dBm, Average RSRP -35.50 dBm , Average RSRQ -30 DB then another RSRP -127 dBM and RSRQ -26 dB.

That 3148 is not the actual frequency used for DL - it is the International Code assigned for the frequencies for DL and UL in use - the E-ARFCN which also is shown at the bottom of the Service Measurements screen. In our case, it is Band 7 - 2600 for DL and 2100 for UL which is 4GX. 

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-carrier-frequency-earfcn/#:~:text=Introductio....

On my iPhone 6, usually in the Measurements screen, it shows RSRP for signal power reading and RSRQ for signal quality (power/noise). The Physical Cell 480 shown is the actual sector on the Cell Site pointing towards your location -  the iPhone would also show you the 9 digit number of the actual Cell Identity which may have multiple sectors. I also have taken a photo of the Carindale Cell tower - it has 6 antennae pointing out in a circular pattern . In Brisbane, Telstra use 3.5425 - 3.605 Ghz frequency for 5G, so that screen data is showing a connection to 5G. Carindale has 4GX capability operating at 2600 and 2100 Mhz.  Would you try another connection to 5G mode and post the Field Test Screen data for 5G to see how it differs. 

You have a great iPhone with strong cell credentials. It may be that Carindale 5G Base station is currently not operating at its full potential or purposefully limited to take the load. I am not ruling out a possible fault in the service. It may take some time before it get up and running to expectation speeds in the local and adjacent areas.  

In addition to Cell Information, you may get some more insight from looking at Cell Measurements and Neighbour Measurements - the latter one doesn't work consistently on my iPhone - I find discover I haven't turned off Wi-Fi, so I disable it and do a power reset. Neighbouring Cell information sometimes works but often not, probably getting sufficient signal on local cell. .  

Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Put your phone in 4G mode and do the same tests and see what you get - comparison is the key to it..

Done that several times - 4G gives me 450-600Mbps,   5G 100-200Mbps.

In addition - according to AUS TOWERS - there isn't another 5G anywhere near me to connect to.

Craznar

@Mkrtich wrote:

You have a great iPhone with strong cell credentials. It may be that Carindale 5G Base station is currently not operating at its full potential or purposefully limited to take the load. I am not ruling out a possible fault in the service. It may take some time before it get up and running to expectation speeds in the local and adjacent areas.  

If I know the phone is fine, and I just have to wait a bit for Telstra to catch up - then this issue is resolved.

I have a very limited window (the rest of today) to make that call, before it is made for me and I can't return the iPhone.

Jupiter

I'm not sure how you think that you can return the iPhone, generally the contract conditions mean that once you open the box and turn on the phone, it can't be returned unless it is faulty or you have been sold a device that cannot work in your area (based on a combination of coverage type 3G/4G/4GX). Your situation doesn't seem to satisfy either of those conditions.

Mkrtich

Correction " In Brisbane, Telstra use 3.5425 - 3.605 Ghz frequency for 5G, so that screen data is showing a connection to 5G." - should have stated "connection to 4G".

Have you tried a test inside the Westfield Shopping Centre at the Telstra Shop there - I would expect them to  have higher 5G speeds so that they show it off to customers.   Alternatively, if you have an ability to drive or catch buses to other nearby locations in Brisbane where there is a working 5G cell tower and write down your test results. Try to be within 100-200 metres away from the tower if possible. The results in the Shop and other locations may assist you in ascertaining if it's the phone or the network for your situation.  

This site will show you where the 5G sites are - after you do Captcha  'I am not a Robot' test, just type in the suburb or post code. Envious of your 4G speeds - I got 60.6/5.8 Mbps this morning! Your phone has impeccable cellular credentials - 4x4 MIMO.

Craznar

Ok - I've now got information on 3 towers (including the one at Westfield I'm across the road from).

* Westfield (13219) - problem exists when in close proximity to tower ~100Mbps

* Clem Jones (9012943) - problem exists when in close proximity to tower  ~100Mbps

* Telstra Exchange Camp Hill (13214) - I get functional 5G at some distance from the tower (1km or so)  ~500Mbps

Is it possible that I'm TOO CLOSE to the towers ?

I'm 100m or so from the Westfield one, and even closer to the Clem Jones  one when tested.

The good news is that I'm now confident the problem exists within Telstra's domain - so I feel comfortable keeping my iPhone and just waiting for Telstra to get their act together.

Craznar

@Jupiter wrote:

I'm not sure how you think that you can return the iPhone, .

It's easy - because Apple gives me time to return the phone for 30 days for any reason what so ever, even if I just change my mind. That time is shortened only because I organised a trade in on my old phone which has to be resolve tomorrow.

That is - I can return the phone - because Apple says I can. But it would be silly to return a perfectly functional phone when Telstra is the problem, and I just need to wait 6 months or so.

ProfessorPhone

There is no problem mate.

You don't have a problem.

Telstra don't have a problem.

They are still building the network,  and for the umteenth time, a cellular network is based on multiple base station cell sites, and until you have the cell structure in place, you leave the base stations in "1st gear" very low "everything"  until all the surrounding base stations are in place, and only then do you "tune" the network.

If you look at any tower, the antennas face 3 directions to make up a cell structure.  You are stressing yourself worrying about something that will fall into place in coming months.

Please accept that 5G is a very new emerging technology and in certain parts of Australia, 4GX is more refined after many years.

Remember when 4G was criticised? I now get 260mb/s on my mobile broadband with 1 bar of 4GX signal.

5G is far more complex and the milliwave frequencies are not even allocated to the 3 Australian networks.

As I said yesterday, give it 2 or 3 years.

You have an excellent phone, and the network is doing what a partly built network will do.

If it hadn't been for NBN, I'm sure that Telstra would not have launched it so soon, but these days everything is money.

Jupiter

OK. I had assumed that you had bought your phone from Telstra.

Just as an FYI. Apple only offer a 14 days returns period on iPhones (that was reduced from 30 days way back in 2014). They do normally make an exception over the Christmas period (10th Nov to 25th Dec) for online purchases and extend the returns period to the Monday of the 1st full week in January.

SteveW_52

I meant do the Field Test thing in 4G, to compare results between 4G and 5G..

Stevo 52
Craznar

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

There is no problem mate.

You are incorrect young fella .. suggest you read the thread and catch up.

Craznar

@Jupiter wrote:

The red dot on Old Cleveland Rd that is outside of the coverage area does not support 5G yet.

I know - but I still got 5G connection 3 bars and the same speed as at the other places.

Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I meant do the Field Test thing in 4G, to compare results between 4G and 5G..

Ok - I did that here, ** means the value is unchanged between 4G and 5G mode.

***LTE Ota Msg
sel_plmn_mcc 505**
dl_bw 5 **
freq 2950**
num_mnc_digits 2 **
cell_id 147114007 **
content_length 2 (5g), 815 (4g)
tracking_area_code 28709 **
msg_type 2
subs_id 0
freq_band_ind 7 **
sel_plmn_mnc 1 **
channel_type UL_DCCH(5g) DL_DCCH(4g)
rb_id 1 **
phys_cell_id 60 **

**LTE Serving Cell Info
ps_pref 0**
dl_bw 50**
ul_freq 20950**
freq_band_ind 7**
prio_of_camped_lte_band 255**
num_nmc_digits 2**
sel_plmn_mcc 505**
ul_bw 50**
sel_plmn_mcc 1**
dl_freq 2950**
num_subs 1**
phy_cell_id 60**
sim_hpimn length=3, bytes=0x05f510 **
subs_id 0**
allowed_access 0**

*** LTE Rach Attempt
tx_power_limited 1**
scell_index 0**
plmn length = 3, bytes = 0x05f510**
rsrp -105**
p_max 21**
contention_based 0**
subs_id 0**
retx_counter 1**
rech_result LTE_RACH_RESULT_SUCCESS**
earfcn 20950**
num_subs 1**
accb_state 0**

SteveW_52

Not much difference then..  so my guess is that even though you have selected 5G and it show that, you might actually be connecting to 4G (which seemed possible - and maybe you have just proved it I think). Not sure why it is performing worse though, maybe some sort of internal conversion process due to 5 G being locked in?

What happens if you let the phone select it's own band I wonder, would it just pick (and display) 4G instead of 5G..

Stevo 52
Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

What happens if you let the phone select it's own band I wonder, would it just pick (and display) 4G instead of 5G..

If I set 5G Auto - it uses 5G and performs poorly.

So - is it possible I'm too close to the tower (I did tests on two other towers - one I was 50m from the tower - the other I was 1km or more from the tower.

The one where I was a long way from the tower performed as good as 4G (in 5G mode).

SteveW_52

As I expected, so maybe you weren't really in full 5G at all - but because the device had been 'locked' to 5G,  that is what it was reporting and also doing it's best to work in..  points to the tower being not yet fully commissioned..

Yes, you can be too close to the panel - they are pointed to provide best coverage (with safety) and have quite sharp lobe attenuation.. 300 ~ 500 metres out from the tower structure itself seems a good place to start, but it depends a lot on the height of the tower.

Stevo 52
Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

Yes, you can be too close to the panel - they are pointed to provide best coverage (with safety) and have quite sharp lobe attenuation.. 300 ~ 500 metres out from the tower structure itself seems a good place to start, but it depends a lot on the height of the tower.

Well - the photo I posted earlier gives an indication of that, but it looks like things are making sense now.

Basically Apple is fibbing about being on 5G, Telstra's tower is too close to me at this early stage of deployment.

So just keep the iPhone and wait for Telstra to get their lobes act together I guess.

SteveW_52

I don't think the Apple is fibbing, if you 'locked' it into 5G..  it might show that but will still drop back to the best it can do..

Stevo 52
Craznar

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I don't think the Apple is fibbing, if you 'locked' it into 5G..  it might show that but will still drop back to the best it can do..

If it did the best it could do - there wouldn't be a problem.

Mkrtich

Interesting data collection and we are learning from your experiences - which site was this Field Test taken? It reveals that the connection was using Band 7, 4G LTE for both DL and UL. The quoted EARFCN is using B7 or 4G LTE (DL 2950 and UL 20950) . 5G uses Band n78 on 5G DL and can use 5G or 4G for UL.  So perhaps Telstra is still tuning the network as ProfessorPhone has indicated.

Did you get to visit the Telstra Shop to do a test there as well? One of the reasons people use Field Test Mode on mobiles is that the 4 bar indicators are not always accurate however Field Test statistics don't always make easy to understand data. This morning on 4G you were connected to cell 468 on unspecified Physical Cell ID and this test you are connected to Physical Cell 60 on Cell  ID 147114007 - different location ? Unfortunately, the general public can not see which cell that represents, however one has to be concerned when another country hosts a data base that does. 

Not sure what references you have quoted for the three sites. Using the RFNSA website reveals that the BCC Bus Depot (4152007) opposite Clem Jones is at Proposed Status of 5G deployment and not implemented as yet (Blue Circle). Unsure if the RFNSA site is up to date. Camp Hill Exchange  is Active 5G (Black Circle). In Carindale Shopping Centre (4152002) Shop MM11 is 5G Active. The Antennae are pointed slightly downwards, so unaware of your testing locations.

Craznar

The only site I can do any detailed stuff is the home site (Carindale), the other sites I'm stuck in the car.

Due to disability I'm not able to get to the Telstra store itself.

I just got the IDs off the Aus Towers iPad app.

The testing locations are line of site for the Bus Depot one (50-100m or so), line of site for the Carindale one (100-200m) and not line of site for the Camp Hill Exchange one (500-1000m).

The last test gave me 4G like speeds, the other two around 30-50% of 4G speeds.

However - I did note that I also did a test outside the 5G coverage area, and the phone still said 5G and gave me the 30-50% of 4G speeds.

SteveW_52

If you left the handset to select the best band itself, then it would do better I reckon, it's just that you manually forced it into 5G mode, so it has to work around that..  

Stevo 52

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more