Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 5G Abysmal Performance

I think your initial tests should be put to one side, because you weren't actually in 5G mode..  the handset was actually working partly in 4G, doing the best it could. The test shown as outside the 5G coverage was just in 4G I think, but showing 5 G because you had set it to do that. As I said previously, the coverage maps for 5G at this stage are not real measured signal assessments, just a projected coverage. They can't do a proper coverage test until the site is fully commissioned, and then the adjacent sites will be needed as well.

You are trying to analyse a complex digital cellular network in very simple terms, based on what a device has been set to show you - it is a flawed approach to the task.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Craznar
Level 4: Private Eye

@SteveW_52 wrote:

I think your initial tests should be put to one side, because you weren't actually in 5G mode..  the handset was actually working partly in 4G, doing the best it could.

If it was in 4G mode, it wouldn't have been giving 30-50% of the performance of 4G - in addition the the Phone showed it was in 5G mode - so that is now an obvious issue.

@SteveW_52 wrote:

You are trying to analyse a complex digital cellular network in very simple terms, based on what a device has been set to show you - it is a flawed approach to the task.

No - I'm trying to determine a very simple thing, is my phone faulty or not ... I know there is an issue, the only question now is where that issue is.

I'm getting Apple to send out a replacement phone - so either I'll get a working phone, or the problem is with iPhone 12s in general - in which case Apple will have to fix it.

At this stage my assumption is that 

* I'm too close to the yet incomplete 5G tower falling outside the optimal 5G range.

* iPhone 12 Pro Max is seeing enough 5G to put me into 5G mode, but still using 4G mode then applying its 5G support incorrectly to the 4G data stream giving me a slower speed than 4G.

So I'm going with keeping an iPhone 12 Pro Max, on the assumption that Apple and/or Telstra will sort it out and that I won't have a faulty phone in the end.

SteveW_52

Good luck.. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - I have discovered a few things about the Apple iPhone 12 series that may have influenced your recent speed test experiences. Apple released a special software update for all iPhone 12 only models yesterday -14.2.1 Build [18B121] - in this YouTube clip from a highly experienced Apple reviewer, he outlines some of the fixes, one of which includes a comment about the internal 5G modem but no detail.

1] Apparently, if you have an active dual SIM configuration, the iPhone won't currently lock into 5G mode.

2] In order to preserve battery consumption which is high on 5G, the iPhone uses "Smart Data Mode" and will connect you to LTE, even if you have favoured the 5G setting, if the speed estimate on 5G is not as good as 4G. Perhaps that is what happened with you - the signal strength on 5G was lower than 4G where you were located at the time. 

3] There is an "Allow More Data on 5G" setting for video and streaming services however it will consume more battery. 

4] Field Test Mode doesn't appear to work for 5G mode as yet, it is structured for 4G LTE readings and explains why we couldn't see a trace of a 5G 3500 Mhz signal. Perhaps addressed in the iPhone 12 software update 14.2.1 or later. The reviewer refers to the Apple 12 software as Beta and forecasts 14.2.2 and 14.2.3 will follow before Christmas as Apple address some other known and other issues as they arise. 

5] I read an article this morning which stated that 5G uses different measurement nomenclature - it has the prefix SS, CSI or NR in front of RSRP, RSSI,RSRQ and SINR, so not sure if Apple will adopt the same format.

6] According to a Telstra Exchange article, Telstra state that their 5G is in early stages of testing and capable of fully working in Standalone 5G mode when in good signal area - data and signaling communications are operate independent of 4G infrastructure if the device is capable.

7] I updated an iPhone 8 (3G/4G LTE only) this morning - the invitation said 14.2.1 was ready, however when it finished after 30 minutes, it only showed as 14.2 vs 14.2.1 Build No. for iPhone 12 models only shown in the video. The iPhone 8 Field Test Mode Menus have been updated with additional information categories compared to my iPhone 6 which is stuck on software 12.4.8. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRYcX9dyJU

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

If you have dual SIMs installed, 5G is disabled. You have to disable one of the two SIMs to get it to work at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich

Thanks for the clarification. Life has become somewhat complicated with technology. Cheers

Jupiter

The Pixel 5 and the new Oppo have the same limitation. Haven't seen anything about the S20 series though.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Craznar

Thanks for that update ... I'm checking out 14.2.1 on the off chance that it helps something.

Just FYI - all my tests on 5G have been '5G On' not auto, 'Allow more data on 5G' set to on, single physical SIM.

UPDATE : Installed 14.2.1

1. Can't see any noticeable difference in field test mod.

2. I am now getting 4G speeds in 5G On mode ... up from 30-50% of pre update, no idea what that means in terms of changes Smiley Happy 403Mbps down on 5G is now in what I call functional territory. 

Craznar

UPDATE #2 :

Either the 14.2.1 update fixed something, or Telstra fixed something - but since that update I can now get 5G at home on my iPhone Pro Max.

As expected due to the early stage of the rollout, it isn't always fantastic - but I've now been able to replicate multiple performance in excess of 4G.

Giving Mkrtich's comprehensive post which got me on the right track the solution tick.

Mkrtich

Hi - Glad that it was a happy ending. Sometimes you can be lucky with software upgrades. I would expect you will get variable speeds during the day subject to local conditions. All the best. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more