Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

5G?

I see Telstra is spruiking the rollout of 5G (Weekly Times Feb 8 2017).  This is ridiculous! I have a 4G capable WiFi dongle and can only receive 3G, ame with my mobile phone. So, no 4G available here. No NBN either altho both available afew kms away in Dunolly Vic. My internet connection drops out several times a day and in fact did it while posting this. Cannot use 24/7 chat...to solve issues as it is hopeless and after half an hour laboriously back and forth typing, my connection invariably drops out before an answer is forthcoming. Confused and unhappy!

longjok

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: 5G?

5G is going to happen, it is the natural progression of the technology. That doesn't mean that they are not still working on 4G at the same time. They are still rolling out LTE (4G/4GX) while trialing and testing the technology of the future. 

They did the same with 3G (and NextG) and 4G LTE (and then 4GX)... the current technology is always still being implemented and expanded while the next generation is being developed, that also doesn't mean that the generation after 5G isn't already being conceptualised at the same time as well. It is the way that the development cycle of techology works.

If you are in an area with poor or no service, you can report that via the report button on the coverage map here. Sometimes certain terrain types prevent mobile connections working correctly though, so that can also play a part in limitation.

With NBN only NBN Co are able to tell you their plan for your area, it is a govt body and completely seperate for any RSP including Telstra so only they can tell you what they are doing.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The good news is that there are proposals in place for upgades for 700MHz LTE on all the towers in your area, which hopefully will get put in service sooner rather than later.

You can check them out on oztowers.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

thanks...helpful.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more