Mooresa
Level 2: Rookie

Activation - Why so long?

Why does it take days to activate a new SIM and transfer from another provider?  It should take days!  You don't even keep the customer informed of progress, I'm just sitting here waiting like an idiot!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Activation - Why so long?

Activations and provisioning do seem to take a long time at present..  it all gets blamed on Covid 19 but I am not sure that is fair..

All you can do is wait, and also power cycle your device occasionally

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mooresa

Telstra have informed me that it takes 9-10 business days.  Every other provider can do it in 48hrs.  Go figure

SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

If that is true, then Telstra are on a slippery slope...

Where in Telstra did that information come from? From the chat support team - they often don't know Telstra products, services and procedures..  that snippet doesn't seem right from my own recent experience..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mooresa

Yes, it was via chat after they checked with "provisioning team".  I've been waiting since last Thursday so I'm on track for their estimate.  Not sure it meets the 48hrs quoted on their website for a transfer from another provider, I wish i'd stayed with them if this is the service you get with Telstra.

Mooresa

I've read the Telecommunications Consumer Protections Code and under 9.5 it states the following regarding transfers.  I'm not Telstra are following this guide at all.  7 days have passed since I activated the SIM and no progress, no indication of when the transfer will take place and no communication from Telstra

9.5 .1 Consumers to be kept informed

• During the Transfer process, the Gaining Supplier must:
    Transfer timing: give the Consumer an indication of when the Transfer will
    take place including any applicable cooling off period, or other activity
    that may delay the commencement of the Transfer;
  • Process changes: keep the Consumer informed in a timely manner of any
    changes to the Transfer process which may affect the Consumer,
    including details of any process delays and changes to appointment
    times; and
  • Time of completion: keep the Consumer informed in a timely manner of
    any changes to the estimated time by which the Transfer will be
    completed.
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Was it from Optus?

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Mooresa

Yes, does that make a difference?

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Yes, most of the churn delays here have one thing in common. 

Whilst Telstra can be blamed for a multitude of sins, delays can very often be that something as small as an address mis-match etc etc can cause a delay.

If I were you, I'd go back to the person who inputted your details at Telstra, and visually check each parameter to ensure the info is correct and every box is ticked correctly.

Both sides of the process have to input the exact information.

Several reported churns here have had issues eminating from the previous network because just one parameter was missed.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more