berenger24
Level 3: Gumshoe

anyone having signal issues in Caulfield area?

Hi all, I am at my wits here. Since moving to the Caulfield South area i don't get more than 1 bar both indoor and outdoor. my phone has become a paper weight while at home. Anyone else having issues in the area or close to the area? I have logged and incident with Telstra but they keep telling me all should be fine. My wife is also with Telstra and has the exact same problem.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: anyone having signal issues in Caulfield area?

Hello, as your wife has the same issue, that eliminates a faulty phone.

Because the network is a cellular structure,each tower / base station / cell site  has 3 sectors comprising 360 degrees. You may have a similar problem that I do.   Each sector on each base station/tower is designed to be powerful enough to the edge of the cell on one base station, where the next cell takes over.

If your unfortunate enough to live between 2 cells, that could explain your issue.

Also, if there is a large building or hill between you and the cell what is also a common problem.

All networks only provide enough power just, to fill the cell so that they can re-use that frequency in another suburb, and need to reduce the "splatter" or over-fill.

I only have 1 bar, and I have found that Samsung phones work with lower signal very much better than iPhones.

You can also spend close to $1700 to $2000 on a repeater that Telstra will supply and install to improve your internal signal. Samsungs will work with 1 bar.

Receiving and transmitting is an inexact science, and subject to invisible obstructions, reflections and interferences.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

PS

If you stand still, can you actually make and sustain a phone call?

If you leave your phone near a window, can you receive a phone call?

How long have you lived in that area?

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
berenger24

I now rely on my wifi for data and wifi calling.

its been like this for three weeks - we just went to the Elsternwick area and it was just as bad. Telstra must be having issues as we were on 1 bar 4g...

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Caulfield South is prone to low reception as there aren't many towers in the vicinity (the tower at Bethlehem Hospital was removed to due major renovations there).

There is a new tower that should be under construction at St Catherine's Anglican Church that should help improve the situation - no idea when it is due to be commissioned, probably early 2022 if construction wasn't delayed too much by the lockdown.

The tower at the Glen Eira council building is due for an upgrade as well, which should help the northern section of Caulfield South.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
berenger24

this has gotten so bad...

I have even tried escalating to Telstra.. there is literally no service available..

Jupiter

What model phones are you and your wife using?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more