Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Can Telstra 4GX USB + Wi-Fi Plus draw data from an existing broadband plan instead of prepaid SIM?

Hi.

This may be a really ill-informed question: we have poor wifi reception at one end of the house, but have a spare Ethernet port there, as well as two Ethernet-connected desktop computers. Portable devices (iPads, mobiles, etc.) struggle to get good wifi reception there. Rather than buy a mesh system or a wifi extender or a second router, is it possible to connect something like the Telstra 4GX USB + Wi-Fi Plus directly to a computer (or to an Ethernet port), and then connect it to our existing broadband network to effectively mirror our wifi signal at that end of the house? Sounds too good to be true, so any alternative solutions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Can Telstra 4GX USB + Wi-Fi Plus draw data from an existing broadband plan instead of prepaid SI

No. The 4GX USB +Wifi Plus is not designed to work that way.

A second router or a mesh system is the way to go .

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Can Telstra 4GX USB + Wi-Fi Plus draw data from an existing broadband plan instead of prepaid SI

No that would not work. If you have an old spare modem or WiFi router you could set that up as WiFi access point. The only other option that doesn't require the purchase off extra hardware is to enable hotspot function on one of the PC and connect it's Ethernet port to the LAN cable. All windows 10 PCs with a WiFi adapter have this function built into the operating system.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more