Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Coverage or Modem issue (Point Lonsdale, Victoria) (Huawei EM820W modem)

Answered

Hey All,

I have a Huawei EM820W 3G modem in my laptop along with a Telstra pre-paid data sim card.

My understanding is that the modem should support all the Telstra frequencies and I should have good coverage everywhere. This is true of the city (Melbourne) but I have recently been to Point Lonsdale and the coverage was terrible.

At Point Lonsdale I was getting the minimum of bars and mostly none at all. A friend had an iPhone 4 which was also on Telstra and he had great coverage.

Any ides why this would be?

My thoughts are:

1. That the modem doesn't actually support all the Telstra frequencies.

2. Telstra Pre-paid data sims don't have the same coverage as post-paid mobile phones.

Any help would be greatyl appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Coverage or Modem issue (Point Lonsdale, Victoria) (Huawei EM820W modem)

@pox67 wrote:

I have found older software for the Huawei EM820w that will lock it to WCDMA and 850mhz.

The results are the same, drop outs and poor reception in areas that actually have great coverage.

Conclusion - the EM820W is junk. 

Anyone got recommendations for a good mini-PCIE laptop modem?

Afraid not, I usually recommend either the 4G Pre-Paid or Post-Paid Dongles (Depending on if you want contract or not, or the WiFi devices (Again, Pre or Post).

You should be able to get one of these (http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/business-products/internet-data/devices/mobile-wi-fi/i... ) from your nearest Telstra Store, just make sure you say you want the Telstra Business one, not the Bigpond one Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Not all Data Cards are created equally. Pre-Paid and Post-Paid use the same frequencies, so coverage is the same on both devices.

It might be a good idea to submit a Coverage Report - http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/coverage-networks/coverage-feedback/

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pox67,

Thanks for your post regarding poor coverage issue in Point Lonsdale, VIC.

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport Smiley Happy Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I've checked the general area around 3225 and could not find any known or reported issues there for mobile broadband, so as Ben suggest above, I recommend to complete the coverage feedback form. Thank you.

By the way, has there been a recent update installed or have you checked for any firmware update for the built-in modem Huawei EM820W 3G or any changes made at all to laptop while you were in Point Lonsdale?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks for the replies Ben and Joe.

Joe can you tell me what frequency is used at Point Lonsdale?

Is it 850mhz?

I don't think this is a very good modem. I have the latest software and drivers but it suffers drop outs and has trouble reconnecting. Now it looks like it this modem probably doesn't get 850mhz like advertised. 

No changes were made to it. It was working in Melbourne before the car ride and then barely working at Point Lonsdale.

As I said a friend with an iphone 4 on Telstra had fantastic reception at the same place.

Highlighted

The NextG Network is only 850mhz. Telstra does have a Limited 2100Mhz network, but its being switched off later this year.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

@Ben_F wrote:

The NextG Network is only 850mhz. Telstra does have a Limited 2100Mhz network, but its being switched off later this year.

B.

So in Melbourne would I be on the 2100mhz or 850mhz frequency?

I really need a way to check with my modem what frequency it is using. 

I have contacted Huawei but they aren't much help...

Highlighted

@pox67 wrote:

@Ben_F wrote:

B.

So in Melbourne would I be on the 2100mhz or 850mhz frequency?

I really need a way to check with my modem what frequency it is using. 

I have contacted Huawei but they aren't much help...

The 2100Mhz network has a "Network name" of 3TELSTRA. 850Mhz shows as "Telstra Mobile".

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@pox67 wrote:

Thanks for the replies Ben and Joe.

Joe can you tell me what frequency is used at Point Lonsdale?

Is it 850mhz?

Hi again pox67,

The Next G Network uses the 850MHz band as Ben confirmed above.

Find out more on our Network Information page and you can search for what network is available in the area via our Mobile Broadband Coverage Search page.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I have found older software for the Huawei EM820w that will lock it to WCDMA and 850mhz.

The results are the same, drop outs and poor reception in areas that actually have great coverage.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@pox67 wrote:

Afraid not, I usually recommend either the 4G Pre-Paid or Post-Paid Dongles (Depending on if you want contract or not, or the WiFi devices (Again, Pre or Post).

You should be able to get one of these (http://www.telstra.com.au/business-enterprise/business-products/internet-data/devices/mobile-wi-fi/i... ) from your nearest Telstra Store, just make sure you say you want the Telstra Business one, not the Bigpond one Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Good idea, thanks Ben_F.

I picked up one of the ZTE MF821 Telstra 4G USB dongles. 

Reception went from 1/5 to 4/5 and speed quadrupled. Speed isn't a fair test though as the internal modem was HSUPA only.

I really wanted an internal modem but will happily live with the speed boost of the USB one.

Last test is the train ride home where the internal modem always lost connection for about 4 stations.

Highlighted

The  ZTE MF821 Telstra 4G USB modem doesn't drop out on the train trip home and maintains at least 2/5 bars. The Huawei internal modem would be out of action for around 1/3rd of the trip.

I will happily put up with the inconvenince of a USB dongle for this reception.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more