Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Data sharing on a Tethered Iphone

Answered

Evening,

Having had to move interstate during this virus business and home school the kids I am for various reasons attempting to rig up a system to allow me to share mobile data with 4 laptops.

On my work based telstra Iphone I can tether the phone via USB to a laptop, configure windows to share the USB based internet connection and then through the laptop LAN port connect to netgear R7000 router WAN port. From there the Router sees the internet connection and any laptop that connects via wifi is all good.

Unfortunately I tested the wrong phone and assumed the one I actually needed to use would do the same thing.

My domestic mobile Iphone, when using the exact same setup will not work and I have no idea why, except that its probably not me.

Have tried the following:

Inserted work sim into wife's mobile and tethered ok

Work mobile with wife's sim will not connect.

Laptop wifi hotspotting services using windows 10 exhibits the same behavior, failing to share the internet connection, works fine with work based sim.

The only clue I have that something is off is that the USB tether network details state the Ipv4 has no internet connection when I turn on windows internet sharing. This is despite the network details reporting a traditional ipv4 address.

Both sim cards seem to utilise same mobile configuration addresses on the phones.

Telstra mobile support could not help and said I needed an IP expert as it must be my end, then promptly hung up once I questioned how it could be my problem when the only difference to the setup is the sim card. I think the poor people servicing are a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

So, I am at my wits end trying to figure out what is going on and can only think its a configuration issue on the Telstra side and someone else here might have an idea to try.

Heck, if there were any telstra mobile hotspot devices left in the city I'd just buy one, get it delivered and call it a day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Data sharing on a Tethered Iphone

Fixed at about 3am last night. Might not be the Telstra preferred method but currently working.

The APN was the problem, using the default APN, telstra.wap I could not access ipv4.

Changed it to telstra.iph and I now have connectivity suitable for the next couple of weeks and the system works perfectly. That setting was found on an old APN configuration site.

Might be that the virus thing is overloading Telstra systems a bit as my work phone stopped working in the same manner late last night.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Instead of tethering the mobile to a PC have you tried using the phones inbuilt hot spot?

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204023

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en

Highlighted

Yup, exactly the same.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Fixed at about 3am last night. Might not be the Telstra preferred method but currently working.

The APN was the problem, using the default APN, telstra.wap I could not access ipv4.

Changed it to telstra.iph and I now have connectivity suitable for the next couple of weeks and the system works perfectly. That setting was found on an old APN configuration site.

Might be that the virus thing is overloading Telstra systems a bit as my work phone stopped working in the same manner late last night.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Glad to hear you have a solution for your problem. Wrote this post before I saw your post with the solution.

Have you checked the Access Point name used with normal SIM is the same as the one used with business SIM. If tge same access point name is used check that yhe settings for the Accesspoint name are the same.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201699

Highlighted

Thanks, odd thing was that both phones had same APN originally.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more