perdox808
Level 3: Gumshoe

Disgraceful

Trying to get my new SIM card activated by Telstra has proven to be a nightmare. To put it mildly, the people that are on the other end of the messages in the My Telstra app are absolutely useless. Take a look at the screenshots of my conversation.

Have you tried getting through to speak to a human being when that stupid Artificial Intelligence filter asks you questions? You just give up in the end.

I also thought of writing to the CEO to let him know what sort of crappy service Telstra provides but guess what? No email address! Nope, you have to post your complaint letter. Now that's keeping up with progress Telstra!

When will Telstra bring back its support services back to Australia? Trying to get help from Telstra from overseas is a monumental undertaking. It is less painful to drink battery acid than to get help from the support infrastructure.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Disgraceful

Hi @perdox808 

In the future, to get past Codi and go straight to a consultant type "Chat to a consultant"

Porting issues/delays are usually caused by incorrect information that doesn't match with what Optus has, such as name (Middle name if needed) date of birth, addresses.

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
perdox808

Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you are saying. However, if something is NOT matching, how will I know? Why doesn't Telstra bother to contact me saying this is the issue, please do this and that to fix the problem.? Why do I need to chase them? And why haven't I been told this by via the messages app? Again, abysmal support,

Dowser
Level 20: Director

Well done for your persistence.

perdox808

My phone is still showing Optus. Late yesterday afternoon I lodged a formal complaint with the Telecommunications Ombudsman. They are brilliant. I remember how they helped me with another, you guessed it, Telstra problem. I hope they have the same success this time. 

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Hi perdox808, did you have a Telstra case manager on this for you? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

perdox808

Thanks for taking the time to contact me.

I have no case manager. Just frustration and anger. As described above I have been using the My Telstra app. The support personnel leave a lot to be desired. 

I haven’t heard boo from anyone. You would think that someone, somewhere, would have my order number sitting on their screen with any errors highlighted asking them to pull their finger out and fix the problem. 

What’s bloody worse is that Telstra deducted my first payment from my credit card the day the SIM was delivered! The arrogance. Tomorrow it will be one week since the delivery of the SIM and I’m still on Optus. 

It seems you work for Telstra? If so, can you please tell me whether Telstra  sends its staff to school to learn incompetence and how to piss off its customers?

SteveW_52

I'm confused, if the handset it showing Optus, then there must be an Optus SIM in it? Or you have set your phone manually to use the Optus network

Have you put the new Telstra SIM in the phone and power cycled it? You might need to leave it powered of for 5 or more minutes before powering it on again with the new SIM. Once you have changed to the Telstra SIM, leave it like that until it gets activated..  switch SIM's in and out will confuse the whole process.

if you feel the need, you can make a complaint here

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

but it will take a few days to get a Case Manager assigned (they seem to be quite busy for some reason (probably a Codi consequence..) provide as much details and any order references etc so they can get up to speed fairly quickly

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
perdox808

When a number is ported or churned as they call it, the SIM with the old provider stops working as soon as the new provider takes over. That’s how it has worked in the past. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I’ll give it a go.

SteveW_52

That would normally be true, but you are dealing with new Covid Telstra here - all bets are off!

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Ozmoz

@perdox808 wrote:

When a number is ported or churned as they call it, the SIM with the old provider stops working as soon as the new provider takes over. That’s how it has worked in the past. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I’ll give it a go.

Hi @perdox808 

No, You must always put in the new SIM for the new provider. You never leave the old SIM in.

The new SIM contains certain information such as the new API information that would be needed to access Telstra.

I think your getting confused with churning internet providers, not, porting, mobile providers.

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
perdox808

I took your advice. I swapped the SIMs and reset network settings, turned the iPhone on and off and got the old ABBA song SOS! Did this a few times. 

My daughter works for a bank and they have people that monitor social media and step in to help people with any issues. 

You would think that Telstra would spend some money on having people monitor this forum and step in to help people. Nope! As long as the money comes in and money going out is minimised, they don’t give a **bleep** about us.

Has the CEO EVER looked at this forum to gauge how his customers are being served? I bet NOT. 

Dowser

With the Telstra SIM installed, what do you see under Settings > Mobile?.

perdox808

With all due respect, I don’t need to be taught how to suck eggs. Been there, done that. 

Thanks. 

Dowser

@perdox808 wrote:

With all due respect, I don’t need to be taught how to suck eggs. Been there, done that. 

Thanks. 

I do not work for Telstra. I am trying to assist you, but I cannot if you do not answer the questions.

perdox808

Thank you Telecommunications Ombudsman. Isn't it amazing how quickly Telstra fixes things when they want to or have to.

At 1303, I received an email from Optus advising me that my number has gone to another provider (note that they don't mention the provider's name). At 1308, an email arrived from Telstra advising me that my order has been fulfilled.

Sure enough, my phone was now showing SOS on the Optus SIM. I changed over the SIM and Voila!, all is good in the universe again.

I was surprised to see that my phone was showing 5G on Darebin Road. This area should not have 5G coverage according to Telstra's coverage map.

My download speed was impressive. However, the upload speed seems poor. Is this indicative of the 5G upload speeds we can expect? Would the upload speed be much better in the Melbourne CBD?

Anyway, I am glad it has all been sorted. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. Greatly appreciated.

abthomp
Level 14: Field Agent

Codi is worse than useless

Ozmoz

Hi @perdox808 

To be honest, if it was me going through all this I wouldn't have bothered and found another provider.

It's like, if they can get this right what else would they not get right. It would be a window into the future.

perdox808

I know but as I said at the beginning, I have poor coverage with Optus at home. I was having 10 to 15 phone call dropouts per day. Some while on telehealth calls. So I had to stay with them.

I've been with Telstra before. If you don't have any accounting problems etc, their mobile network just works. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more