Jo43
Level 1: Cadet

Emergency calls only -NZ

I contacted Telstra before I left for NZ and they switched me from a prepaid plan and put my $40 onto my balance. They said this was the best way to set me up so I could make and receive calls while in NZ. My phone is showing 'emergency calls only' so I don't believe it's working? I don't need data roaming as I'll just use free Wi-Fi but I'm expecting an important call! Live chat doesn't work on my Google Chrome browser on my OPPO phone by the way. Should roaming automatically work? Is there a phone setting? Frustrating!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Emergency calls only -NZ

Have you turned mobile data off? It may need to be left on until the phone registers with the network.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jo43

Hi Jupiter. I did have it off but turned it on and turned the phone off and on and still no luck.
Jo43

Telstra had to activate something. I got live chat to work by using chrome and selecting the "request desktop site" option from the top right hand corner options. You need to scroll down to the bottom right hand corner to see the window but it works.
Jupiter

Excellent that they are getting you up and running.

Thanks for the tip about getting Chrome to work with Livechat. I'll pass it on to the other members who help out here (I really should have thought of it myself as that is how I use Crowdsupport on my phone).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more