ivanji556527
Level 1: Cadet

eSim activation while overseas

Good morning - if I transfer my current SIM to an eSim while I'm roaming overseas would the activation process of the eSIM work while I'm connected to a roaming partner or would I have to do the activation in AU first? I don't want to risk losing my AU number or to brick my physical sim when I do sim swap.

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: eSim activation while overseas

I'm not sure if the eSIM activation can be done whilst overseas. Maybe one of the Telstra Staff can confirm whether this is possible @Kjorg ?

The activation of the eSIM will cancel the physical SIM, there is no way around that. So just be aware that if there are problems with using the eSIM, you can't just immediately swap back to the physical SIM that you currently have.  A new physical SIM would need to be issued if you needed a physical SIM in the future.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kjorg
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ivanji556527 

Thank you for your post.

You can find further information about activating an eSIM here: https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/mobile-technology/esim

If you require any further info or have any questions, you will need to contact one of our consultants via the Get Help tab of the My Telstra App or contact 13 22 00. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ivanji556527

That's right and the main reason why I'm asking the question here. I don't want to lose the number and why I need confirmation from support or from people who've done it in the past. Thanks.

@Kjorg Your link doesn't help - there's nothing relevant to my question there. Thanks. 

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

You could put the question to the Mobile Activation Team by calling Telstra Support on 132200 (9am - 8pm AEST Weekdays)

faeyese

No, you can't. The confirmation comes to your phone.

Cheers!
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi ivanji556527. 

I have checked over my support resources and I cannot see anything advising specifically that you can't activate an eSIm overseas while roaming, however I have not encountered anyone who has attempted this so I have no real world examples I can point to say that this will work with 100% certainty. That said, there is no location component required of the activation process. . 

If you have the option to do this before you leave Australia, I would recommend doing so. 

You can see how to get this done here https://tel.st/8utkxu;

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more