Skeptikool
Level 2: Rookie

GIS layer of Telstra mobile coverage

Is there a current GIS (e.g. WMS/WMTS) layer of the Telstra mobile network (3G/4G) coverage available? There have been links provided to a WMTS layer on older threads but I cant seem to get it to connect.

This would be useful for planning field trips and making coverage maps for safety plans etc. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: GIS layer of Telstra mobile coverage

Have a look at https://staging.gcm.telstra.com.au/gisserver/rest/services/Hosted

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Skeptikool

Thanks Jupiter... I feel like a bit of a noob but I cant seem to get any of the URLs to provide a layer list despite using various WFS, ArcGIS MapServer and other approaches. I'd like to get this layer (I think): https://staging.gcm.telstra.com.au/gisserver/rest/services/Hosted/Mobile_Combined_Outdoor/VectorTile...

Any idea how to get that to load in QGIS?

Jupiter

QGIS doesn't support the format (pbf) yet. The newest version was supposed to introduce support for it, but it didn't eventuate.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Skeptikool

OK, thanks. I assume there is some great advantage to pbf over existing formats. GIS seems to be accumulating formats at a huge rate!

Jupiter

pbf is far more efficient in packing data into a small file size. Hopefully QGIS gets the format into the next version.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more