NSA1
Level 2: Rookie

How many phones can be connected to a small cell phone base station at the same time?

Being new to this forum, i accidently clicked on answered. I was only given a link to the Telstra page on small cell base stations. This did not give any technical details. It did not give the radius of coverage in a flat surrounding landscape, and the limits to the data speeds created by the expense of the traffic through a satellite to the Telstra network.

The ACMA is funding these small cell base stations in areas where base stations are uneconomic. All telcos are being funded to put a single base station on each site.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How many phones can be connected to a small cell phone base station at the same time?

The technical details are not published.

The radius of the coverage is dependant on too many factors to be able to provide it. Height and power of transmitter, ambient air conditions, terrain all play a significant part. But generally, they only cover from a few hundred metres to a few kilometres.

As far as how many concurrent connections they can handle, that would depend on the specific design of the cell and its associated uplink capability. They are usually deployed in low population density areas (ie small towns, usually in the shopping strip).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more