Olesarge
Level 2: Rookie

I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Now nothing.

Answered

I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Mods were done to the tower at Tanby Point and we ended with no 4g or 3g service inside. Now recently marginally improved 98 - 105 sim reading service inside and outside 125 -128 4g service outside. I bought new phones that cover 700 to 2600 frequencies as advised by Telstra shop but no change. What the "F" is going on with Telstra????????????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Now nothing.

You could try sending an email to BaseStation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com

Include your contact details, along with when you noticed the change in reception and what you used to get as well as the model of phone(s) that you are using.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Olesarge

Re: I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Now nothing.

I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Mods were done to the tower at Tanby Point and we ended with no 4g or 3g service inside. Now recently marginally improved 98 - 105 sim 3G reading service inside and outside 125 -128 4g service outside. I bought new phones that cover 700 to 2600 frequencies as advised by Telstra shop but no change. What the "F" is going on with Telstra????????????

Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Hi Olesarge,

Whenever a customer has a Telstra service problem they should first enter their address on the Telstra outage's website to see if there's a known problem. 

https://outages.telstra.com.au

When you enter Zilzie 4710 you'll see that there's a Technical Issue in Telstra's Network and it should be restored by Saturday 1st May 9.30am.

Therefore, purchasing new mobile phones wouldn't have fixed the problem. 

I'm only presuming the Telstra store Employee could have looked to see if there was a known problem in your area before selling you new mobile phones. 

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
Jupiter

That outage is listed for the 3G network, so the results that the OP is seeing is inconsistent with their reception.

They could be operating off of the Tower at Tungamull (about 10km west of the creek) as it has line of sight to Eagle Heights, whereas the tower to the south of Zilzie (about 4.5km away) is only 9.5m above sea level and the signal would be getting substantially blocked by the 55m high hills that are directly between that tower location and the OP. Either that or enough 3G signal is managing to get through the gap in the hills from the Zilzie Tower.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Olesarge

Guys

Thanks but either way its crap $1600 later still same.

Note outage area shown does not include Eagle Heights. Infact far from it. We are 4klm further south.

Strange how it was all good up until 18 months ago when they did major work on the tower.

How do I resolve this????

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

You could try sending an email to BaseStation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com

Include your contact details, along with when you noticed the change in reception and what you used to get as well as the model of phone(s) that you are using.

View solution in original post

Olesarge

I'll give it a try but Telstra don't give a S__t.  Probably will change to Optus like everyone else in area with unlocked phones.

Olesarge

To Base Station Enquiries as above recommendation.

Help Please!!!!

I live at Eagle Heights Zilzie 4710. 18 months ago we had 3 bars 4G. Mods were done to the tower at Tanby Point and we ended with no 4g or 3g service inside. Now recently marginally improved 98 - 105 sim 3G reading service inside and outside with data, Golf Club no 3G data have to switch to 4G to scan in. 125 -128 4g service outside, similar inside. I bought new phones that cover 700 to 2600 frequencies as advised by Telstra shop but no change from my old Samsung S5’s. What the "F" is going on with Telstra????????????

Eagle Heights is way outside the area you advise has a problem with 3G.  4klm further south.

Do I have to change to Optus to get reception, like others in my area ???????????????????   Please advise.

Kind regards

Dave Williams

Olesarge

New phones are Samsung A31 SM 5G DS.

Jupiter

A couple of things to try (probably won't help, but can eliminate them as potential problems).

Check to make sure that the SIM is inserted into the SIM#1 slot.

Go into Mobile Settings and turn off the 5G (ie set it to 4G/3G only).

Did you buy the A31 from the Telstra Shop? I can see it listed for sale by Telstra (they have the A21, A51) as they don't usually sell Dual SIM devices.

Can I confirm that the model number of the phone is SM-A315G/DS?

Olesarge

Sim is in S1 slot.

A31 is 4G, 5G is the model.  Working on 4G/3G/2G. mode with sim readings -125 to 128,  or  3G/2G mode with sim readings of -98 to -105.

No bought unlocked from Harvey Norman.

Confirm number.

Jupiter

OK, that's what was confusing. 5G is not the model. The model is SM-A315G/DS or Samsung Galaxy A31 Dual SIM.

When you have the phone operating in 4G mode, do you get the VoLTE symbol showing up next to the 4G symbol? Just asking because sometimes with Samsung phones, if it isn't sold through Telstra then the VoLTE (voice calling over LTE) capability doesn't work (the carrier settings don't let it due to the way that Samsung writes the firmware). It means that the phone has to drop back to 3G to make a voice call.

It almost seems like the LTE Band 28 signal isn't reaching you. The LTE Band 3 signal that the S5 was seeing should have a lower signal strength at distance as it doesn't travel as far. I would have expected a better signal strength on Band 28 than Band 3.

Are you on an actual Telstra SIM, or a Telstra reseller (ALDI, Beyond, etc)?

Olesarge

Yes I get VoLTE symbol in good 4G areas but do not even get the 4G symbol at home.

The signal strength for the S5 and A31 are same.

I am on CMobile reseller sims, but tried Telstra prepaid sim exactly same reception.

Funny why the old or new phone does not drop down to 3G when 4G/3G/2G mode nominated have to nominate 3G.2G mode to get 3G.

Jupiter

It won't drop down to 3G if it can see "enough" 4G signal.

Are you on a CMobile Blue or CMobile Red plan?

Olesarge

Blue Plan.  Telstra

Olesarge

Before it drops to 3G it will not receive calls if on 4G/3G mode.  Put on 3G mode and works.  Same with S5

Jupiter

According to the coverage maps, you should have outdoor coverage (they don't guarantee indoor coverage anywhere) on the B28 (700MHz) band. B3 coverage is spotty in your area and shows up on the map as a diagonal band through the middle third of Eagle Heights in a NE-SW line.

I use an app on my phone called CellMapper, by CellMapper.net. It will tell you the frequencies and their strengths that your phone is seeing (make sure you have wifi off or it will only see the primary one). I'm definitely interested to see what your phone is actually seeing, and whether it's picking up a signal in the 700Mhz band at all.

As an example, mine is below:

Olesarge

Jupiter

I'll download this app and do some tests on Thursday and get back to you.

Thanks for help.

Also what is network MData.com.au  mdata.com.au  ???

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more