Iain55555
Level 1: Cadet

I send lots of texts for business

Today I received the following message...

From Telstra Cyber Security: Your Android device is likely infected with the FluBot malicious software.

...I do in fact send lots of texts. I sell houses and today Sent around 1800 messages to buyers eagerly anticipating my next listing... you may have heard the market is hot.  I've been doing this for about 7 years so the list has grown! What i don't want is to be blocked on the network for spam. How can I avoid this? I already throttle the messages to around 300 per hour. Any other thoughts? Thx

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: I send lots of texts for business

Are you sending the text messages from your personal mobile phone?.

Iain55555

Yes I am so that people can reply/engage direct to me. That's important for opt outs and relationships

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

On a consumer service, the Fairplay Policy states (which is fairly obsolete these days).

9.13 In the case of FairPlay offers about SMS text messages, we consider that excessive use is
more than 100 SMS text messages from a mobile phone each day

That would be why Telstra is assuming that your phone is infected. They would also be within their rights to suspend your service as you are using a consumer account for commercial purposes (you really should have a business account for the purposes that you are using your phone service for) - which is in another part of the Telstra Customer Terms.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

You could contact Telstra Support asking for the actual threshold level that activates the FluBot warning.

Iain55555

Thank you both

My daughter probably sends 100 an hour so yes a bit outdated.

I don't mind receiving the warning, glad they're watching for abuse. Just don't want to be blocked. My service is actually with telechoice that is a telstra reseller so I'll have a word with them about what's allowed. 

Jupiter

Well, the applicable section the Telechoice Fairuse policy (under Excessive an Unreasonable Use) would be 

ii) mass distributing communications to a large number of recipients, such as, for example, group
or bulk SMS or MMS communications;

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more