Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

International Roaming

Answered

I’m currently overseas in NZ and I seem to get charged more on my phone bill for having international day pass activated. If the day pass and roaming was turned off was it still possible to use the data from my actual plan or is there no point in paying for the plan at all if I’m overseas and it’s not being used? I’m still not that clued up about how roaming works but I know I’m getting charged for using my data a lot. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: International Roaming

Current plans do not have an allowance of data for use overseas. You either pay via the Daypass ($5 per day in NZ) or at PAYG rates (which are higher).

If you cancel your plan, then you will not have a service at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Current plans do not have an allowance of data for use overseas. You either pay via the Daypass ($5 per day in NZ) or at PAYG rates (which are higher).

If you cancel your plan, then you will not have a service at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

PAYG charges for NZ are:

Make and receive a call $1.50 per minute
Send SMS 75c
Receive SMS Free
Data $3.00 per MB
charged per KB
Send MMS Standard charges*
+ $3.00 per MB
Receive MMS $3.00 per MB
MessageBank®

$1.50 per minute

Daypass ($5 per day in NZ) gives you:

Roaming Calls + SMS + MMS

For use while overseas

Unlimited Calls + SMS

MMS - 75c per recipient per message

Roaming Data Allowance

For use while overseas

200MB/day
Expiry
Expires daily (AEST)
Excess Data Charge
$10/500MB - valid for 31 days

Note: you only get 200MB per day for your $5. Each extra 500MB costs $10.

Highlighted

Okay that makes sense. If I’m going to be in NZ for a while would it be better if I downgraded my plan so I don’t need to spend more for not using the data anyway?

Highlighted

You could look at doing that. The cheapest plan is $50 per month. You can change plans via the 24x7 or My Telstra app (or by logging in to your account via the Telstra Website).

You can change plans once per month, so just keep that in mind for when you are crossing back over the ditch.

Highlighted

Okay sweet that’s good to know thank you!

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more