jodiemcneill
Level 2: Rookie

International Travel Pass - will purchasing two passes at the same time increase the days?

Hello,

I'm heading overseas for 17 days. If I buy a 14 day International Travel Pass, and then immediately purchase a 3 day International Travel Pass then will this mean that I have 17 days until the passes expire, or will I just have 17 days' of data on a 14 day pass?

In other words, does purchasing two travel passes increase the total days?

If not, then I presume I will have to remember to buy an additional travel pass at the very moment that the first one expires, which could be tricky.

Many thanks, Jodie.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Palpatine
Level 20: Director

Re: International Travel Pass - will purchasing two passes at the same time increase the days?

Hi Jodie - quick answer is NO.

However, I have got on to live Chat and Specifically asked for Plan 1 from this day and Plan 2 from this day and it did work, but I would definately confirm what is required during the chat and keep a copy of the chat just in case of a dispute.

https://www.telstra.com.au/chatnow/landing?pageId=https%3a%2f%2flivechat.telstra.com%2f

With the 24/7 app it is very easy to add a plan, and my experience is that I generally run out of data before I run out of days, so I would be inclined to buy the first 14 day pass, see how the data holds up, then buy the second pass at the time you need it.

Please note that Telstra does not send a TXT when your pass is about to expire because of time, but they do advise when you have reached 100% of data. So you need to monitor both your time (set a calendar reminder) and monitor your own data, this is easy on both iPhone and Android, let me know if you need help with these.

Also keep in mind that your expiry date is 12 Midnight Sydney time. So as you say, keeping track of the actual local time is tricky!!

I recommend that you check your itinery here, and take particular note of the differences between post paid (strongly recommended) and Pre-Paid (Not recommended)

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/mobiles-on-a-plan

But just to re-answer your question, no, if you buy two passes at the same time they do not follow on, one is simply wasted, I think you dont even get the benefit of the added data as you suggested might happen, but then again you might run out of data before you run out of days.

I will follow this post so if you have any other questions please respond and if possible I will answer as soon as I can.

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
jodiemcneill

Re: International Travel Pass - will purchasing two passes at the same time increase the days?

Thanks so much for this helpful reply.

I read somewhere, I think, that if you run out of data on the International Travel Pack, then you can purchase another one during the same period, and the data only from that pack will be added to your existing pack.

So, if you've bought the 14 day pack but after ten days you use up your 1.03Gb of data, then you can just buy another 3 day pack in order to get another 225Mb, but it won't give you any more days of phone and SMS.

Can we confirm this?

Grace and peace, Jodie.

Palpatine

Hi Jodie, what you are saying here is correct, but I would still keep good records of chat transcriptions and take screen shots of confirmation messages as a back-up. I have been incorrectly billed with this exact circumstance in the past..

Re your other post here, yes you can order in advance, but you need to do it via live chat or by calling the international roaming help line (even then it could depend on the operator you get). Again keep copies of chat transcriptions and any confirming texts.

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Palpatine

Just to confirm, the 24/7 App links to MyAccount via Telstra.com, and Telstra.com is an unmetered site.
jodiemcneill

Excellent. Thank you for clearing that up. 🙂

Jodie.

Palpatine

Sorry Jodie - I have given you incorrect info here, and correct info is hard to find but see:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/manage/bigpond-unmetered-sites

Which in the fine print at the bottom includes these words:

"Unmetered sites don't apply if you're accessing the internet using International Roaming"

So the 24/7 App is unmetered in Australia, but included in your Travel Pass data allowance if accessed from overseas.

jodiemcneill

Aha, thanks so much. I'll probably try and organise it before I leave, if possible. It would be wonderful if Telstra could include this essential information in an FAQ. But thanks to the wonderful crowd support!

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more