Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

mobile 4g internet remote australia 4892

Hi to anyone that works at Telstra,

I'll like to try and make someone aware of the poor service on Wellesley Island 4892 and let you know that you post market service is useless!

Firstly with the service. I moved from Brisbane to Mornington Island a few weeks ago and all the LTE results are indicative of what the experience is like. I'd like to find out why in this indigenous community the people are paying for a service that is below par? Surely, you can't charge the same amount? What is the process for upgrading hardware out here? Telstra advertises as having the most extensive network of the highest quality....

With regards to your app and call centre....I don't know where to start. I've been hung up on and sent a text over 10times now. It doesn't matter which number or extension you choose. The reply on the app is slow. I waited an entire day...I asked the staff on chat for contact details and was told to complain by calling the number. They couldn't provide me with the right extension or email address. It's like telstra is happy to sell you a service but doesn't give a **bleep** if it doesn't work! This messaging service is okay for the right person, but to force it onto you customers is just poor service. 

Consider this a formal complaint on 4g service and customer service. Look forward to a response. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: mobile 4g internet remote australia 4892

All the LTE readings in November 2020 are telstra readings. It is not my phone as it is a known issue across the indigenous community. My wife's iphone 11 performs the same. Even you coverage website says that 4g is available here. 

Highlighted

Highlighted

I'm writing this at 6:04am on Wellesley Island 4892. 

If you need to contact me it will have to be over phone as my speeds will die off during the day. 

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

"Consider this a formal complaint on 4g service and customer service. Look forward to a response."

You have posted this in the CrowdSupport forum, while it may make you feel better, it might not get a response..

I agree, there are some poor coverage areas up in that region, which I visit quite often, and yes the reality doesn't match the coverage maps.

This is where you lodge a complaint..

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Thanks this is more than I got from the messaging on customer support or the phone line

@SteveW_52 wrote:

"Consider this a formal complaint on 4g service and customer service. Look forward to a response."

You have posted this in the CrowdSupport forum, while it may make you feel better, it might not get a response..

I agree, there are some poor coverage areas up in that region, which I visit quite often, and yes the reality doesn't match the coverage maps.

This is where you lodge a complaint..

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Highlighted

This is CrowdSupport - mostly people just like you, with the same issues..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Oh it’s rediculous we have actually had to roll all our devices back in both our rural property locations (parents farm) and home (30minutes from city) to 3G only to get any type of service since covid. It’s like Telstra had literally redirected all services and service to the city folk to keep them happy working from home...at high speed with everyone else’s data access !! It’s been beyond a joke! My mother was able to complete her nursing degree from there farm 10 years ago via online remote learning, Now I can’t even call my husband to say good night when I visit it’s that bad! 

Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Crowd Support is a forum of actual Telstra customers.None of us are actual staff with account access and Telstra corporate information. The only Telstra employees here are the moderators. Whilst we share your concern, no one here can actually do more than offer general information and basic technical user support.   You would be best writing to senior management of Telstra, whose email  access you can locate with a Google search.  

Telstra do sell mobile repeaters, but as I have both the 2 different Telstra models, I know that they assist in voice calls, but practically not with Telstra  modems / mobile data, which I myself struggle with in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, where it's very hilly.  I see you invited contact, but Telstra people here are limited to moderators who do not deal with retail customers, and will not ring you back.   I am a customer like you.  Sorry, I cannot offer you more than sympathy.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted

Hi - can you clarify a few things and to give you some background.

1] Is the marker on the green map where you had undertaken the speedtest.net test shown in your post.

2] Are you using the speedtest.net web page for these results or are they taken using the speedtest.net App which I have found gives more reliable results and shows an additional performance reading - packet loss -  that measurement may be visible when you select the right > ?. 

3] If the marker is where you stood to take the tests, you must be in a short viewing distance of the cell tower which one would usually expect higher 4G speeds subject to actual cell provisioning capabilities. 

4] The cell tower shows support for 3G and 4G - do you get a similar result using 3G? 

5] I couldn't get a match when I searched on https://www.rfnsa.com.au/ for another base station on Mornington Island making me think if you are being connected via microwave link to another adjacent base station on the mainland when demand exceeds local base station capability or actually being connected via 3G although your phone displays 4G.  

6] Your mobile has a Field Test Mode which shows you which frequency you are being connected to - 3G or 4G. If you are interested to confirm, let us know what handset model you are using for speed tests and I will find the code that you need dial into the phone to see the frequencies.

7] If the cell is severely under provisioned for demand, it may assist matters if your local Federal parliamentary representative was petitioned by the community to formally ask Telstra to upgrade the network to accommodate the increased demand. There is also a link on the RFNSA web site that is titled Basestation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com which may also be worth sending an email to. 

Highlighted

Just some more data which may indicate not so much an issue connecting to your local cell tower, but how that cell tower communicates with the mainland through a series of microwave repeaters to interconnect you to Telstra's backbone network. Along with other microwave equipment, there is a 7Ghz Point-to-Point ACMA Licence registered on that Tower 4871040 to Telstra pointing 200 degrees which may connect to a Microwave Repeater site on the mainland that provides linkage for traffic onto Burketown. Every time a communication goes through a repeater, you will suffer some speed loss, so it may be the interconnection technologies from the Island to the mainland or even on the mainland that are suffering congestion and need an upgrade. There may be some undersea cable joining the Island to the mainland as well? 

ACMA Register of Radiocommunications Licences (RRL)

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more