jameco
Level 1: Cadet

mobile black spot

Hi,

I live in inner sydney NSW.

Recently moved to a two storeyhouse which has been identified as having  excellent coverage according to the map provided by Telstra.

I cannot receive mobile calls in my house.

The phone call often falls out, I cannot be heard or it sounds like I am talking under water.

I am finding it hard to get any help from Telstra.

Submitted form as requested. Contacted telstra advised could not help until routine maintainence completed.

No Feed back.

I have paid for Telstra Plus to come out and check but not problems with internet coverage. They cannot help with mobile coverage.

Just getting worn down by how to make people accountable in telstra to fix this problem.

I live in a major city and I cannot believe that this is a problem.

Any suggestions of how to get this resolved with Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: mobile black spot

Is the reception good when standing on the street in front of your house?

If the answer is no, then it is either a problem with the phone or there is a reception blackspot. Ask other people if they are have problems when using their phones, this will narrow it right down.

If the answer is yes, then the problem is simple physics. It will be the construction materials used in your house. Some materials (mostly metals) do not allow radio waves to pass through very easily. Foil lined insulation, metal sheet roofing, bricks with a high mineral content can all block mobile phone signals quite effectively. There is not much Telstra can do if this is the case.

You could buy a Smart Antenna, which is not a cheap option, but can be effective. Or you could invite friends around who have different phones than you and see how theirs work. There is a great deal of difference in antennas/ttranceivers in mobile phones and some work better in weak signal enviroments (hence the Blue Tick rating).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more