Jacki21
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile data speed extremely low

Just this week, the 5G internet speed on my iPhone has gone really really slow with only 1 signal bar. I normally get 3 bars. I have already restarted the phone a number of times, and updated to the latest IOS with no success on improving the speed. Is anyone having the same issue? I couldn’t see any notice that Telstra is doing some maintenance work etc that has impacted on  mobile data speed. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Mobile data speed extremely low

You haven't mentioned what speeds you are getting (only bars, which relates to signal strength).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

You can check for Telstra outages on the webpage

If possible, you could put your SIM card into a similar phone and see if it has similar symptoms (at the same location).

Jacki21

Download 1.3/upload 2.4 Mbps  

Jacki21

Thanks for the weblink, just checked and no confirmed interruptions. My housemate is also on Telstra with IPhone, he has been experiencing the same slow mobile internet this week. 

Dowser

You can send an email to Basestation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com informing the team about your results, and query the cause.

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jacki21, just checking in - if you're still having problems with the connection speeds, can you please let me know the town/suburb and postcode in question and what network connection is shown in the top left of the mobile screen (e.g. 3G, HSDPA, 4G, LTE, etc)?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jacki21

Hi Greg, thanks for checking in. The speed is still slow and I have emailed the Basestation team about the issue and currently waiting for their reply. If you can let me know a preferred email address and I can forward you the email if you like. 

Greg_Buch
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update - if you've emailed the Basestation team they can follow up further with the details provided, but I can also check for any known faults with performance if you can let me know the details above.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jacki21

Thanks Greg, appreciate your assistance in looking into this. Postcode 2223, Oatley. Network connection shown on my iPhone is 5G. 

Jupiter

5G is in the process of getting rolled out in that area (and there aren't any towers in Oatley itself). You may be better off limiting your iPhone to using 4G/3G/auto for the next couple of months while the nearest towers are brought online and commissioned.

I had to do that with my phone for the first couple of weeks after the tower near me was upgraded to 5G.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more