Level 1: Cadet

Mobile Phone number CLI Spoof

Hi

I just received a call from a person returning a call that I apparently made to then less than an hour ago.

Since I have not made any calls from my mobile number to that mobile number I am wondering how my mobile number has been forwarded as the originating number.

Is it possible that someone has hacked my mobile number and is using it for scam calls and if so what action can I take apart from changing my number.   

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Mobile Phone number CLI Spoof

No. You haven't been hacked. They are just spoofing your Caller ID (which is quite easy to do unfortunately).

The best action to take is to change the greeting on your Voicemail to explain what has happened (most people accept this and move on) and then not answer calls from any unfamiliar number. It should resolve itself within a couple of weeks when the scammers move on to using a different number.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more