alexhoughton24
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile Service is so slow and bad service 3G only in Birkdale - QLD

Ongoing issues with slow speeds and disconnection on Telstra Mobile service, normally getting 1-2 bars 3G.

My wife is also on Telstra and the same result, if I drive down the road, I get full 4G service in Wellington point.

this has been going on for some months now, supposed to be paying for a premium service. I have other mobile hotspots with vodafone / optus and they are full strength 4G/5G

This is becoming a major issue working in IT Comms, working from home all the time.

This needs to be esculated, have just spent 30 mins on to Telstra faults, and they say there is issues, call back in a week, I have been calling back every week for the last few months. Post code is 4159

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Mobile Service is so slow and bad service 3G only in Birkdale - QLD

Given the distribution of Telstra Towers in that area, you shouldn't have any problems unless there is a fault.

You should even be getting 5G service there if you have a compatible device and plan.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
alexhoughton24

I get 5G on my Optus hotspot, full bars, but on my work telstra phone and my wifes telstra phone we both get 3G 1-2 bars slow speed and dropped calls all round Lynch Crescent / Byng Road / somersby court (4159), not acceptable for a premium service.  I end up using wifi calling instead..

Jupiter

The two Telstra Towers near you are less than 2km away, so you should get good coverage.

The two red lines lead to Telstra towers. The yellow line leads to an Optus/Vodafone tower.

The two Telstra Towers are 4GX as well, so you should have VoLTE capability as well.

Try sending an email to Basestation.Enquiries@team.telstra.com with your contact details and as much detail as you can.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
alexhoughton24

Thanks let me email that address, I also checked with a neighbor who is on Telstra, same issue for the last 6 mths..

alexhoughton24

Lets see what comes back from that, is there any sort of booster that Telstra can supply.

Jupiter

There are network extenders that you can apply to buy (it is unlikely that you would be approved since you are in an area that should have excellent service).

See Network coverage extension devices (telstra.com.au) they run to over $1000 by the time you add in the external antenna.

alexhoughton24

I am onto Telstra again, has now been 3G coverage for weeks, they said there was work going, but should have been completed weeks ago, its got to be the worst service I have ever seen. it seems since they upgraded to 5G in the area. which I dont have. Getting charged for at a premium for shocking service.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more