Level 1: Cadet

my house and the street nearby is a blackspot

hi,

i cant really use my mobile in or around my house. it's been like that for years, but it's starting to bug me now. as soon as i pull up outside the house calls drop out. same goes for my back yard. sometimes to use the phone i have to walk half a block away.

my question is.......does telstra do anything about these sorts of issues, or do they just want you to pay a fortune for some sort of booster tech? if that's the case, i'll just change providers. (3 phones, internet, land line)

i live in the eastern suburbs of sydney, so there certainly shouldnt be an issue.

also, if anyone from telstra is reading this, our home phone hasnt worked for about 4 months but you wont answer you phone because of covid, and reporting it via the app, has no effect.

cheers

ron

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: my house and the street nearby is a blackspot

For the phone problem, call 132203 to report the problem. If you can't get through there, submit a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

If complaints can't fix it, then you have the option of going to the ombudsman (tio.com.au).

For the mobile phone reception problem, it's a complex issue as there are a lot of reasons why there are blackspots (terrain, nearby buildings and the type of materials they are made out of). There isn't necessarily anything that can be done to provide 100% coverage in an area, it depends where the towers are, the frequencies that are in use, the direction that the antennas are facing and the handset that is being used.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - do you have a Telstra Broadband Internet service at home with a Wi-Fi enabled modem? If you have a Smart Phone that supports Wi-Fi Calling which is enabled, in times when you have a weak 4G signal, incoming and outgoing mobile calls are vectored through the Internet instead of the cellular network by Telstra, so you can effectively continue to use the mobile phone for your calls as if it was connected to your local cell tower.   

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/telstra-wifi-calling 

Level 1: Cadet

thanks for the response. i have that switched on, and the little logo is on my phone screen, but it has never worked properly.

cheers

ron

It's disappointing when theory is not matched in practice. You may have done so already, and not sure if you have to get Telstra to enable VoLTE (Voice over LTE) on your mobile account for it to operate. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more