6_Lockd0wn
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Smart Modem Dual Band

Answered

Recently upgraded to NBN with Telstra dual-band Smart Modem installed.  I have an old device that (apparently) can only access the 2.4Ghz frequency.  It would appear that my other devices can access the modem on the 5GHz frequency.

The modem is not visible in the wi-fi network settings of the old device.

How do I change the modem settings so that both the 5G and 2.4G bands are displayed?

Richard S

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Smart Modem Dual Band

By default both modem's Wi-Fi bands use the same name. You can change this by logging into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), going to Wi-Fi, removing tick next to band steering and saving settings. When band steering is disabled -5G will be added to the name of the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band. The 2.4 GHz will still have the same name without -5G added. On your devices that support both Wi-Fi bands you should now see both the modem's normal Wi-Fi name and the modem's Wi-Fi name with -5G added. If you only see the name with -5G added then the 2.4 GHz WiFi could be faulty or the WiFi might be turned of in the settings. If faulty Telstra support should replace modem. 

To check that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is turned on depends on your modem. There are two versions of the smart modem.

On the Arcadyan version (LH1000) check that the 2.4 GHz radio is enabled on the Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Radio tab is enabled and on the Wi-Fi > 2.4 GHz tab check that Wi-Fi Network is enabled and Broadcast SSID is on.

On the Technicolor version (DJA0231) check on the Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz tab that Wi-Fi Radio is enabled and Wi-Fi Network is enabled.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Accepted Solution

By default both modem's Wi-Fi bands use the same name. You can change this by logging into the modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra), going to Wi-Fi, removing tick next to band steering and saving settings. When band steering is disabled -5G will be added to the name of the 5 GHz Wi-Fi band. The 2.4 GHz will still have the same name without -5G added. On your devices that support both Wi-Fi bands you should now see both the modem's normal Wi-Fi name and the modem's Wi-Fi name with -5G added. If you only see the name with -5G added then the 2.4 GHz WiFi could be faulty or the WiFi might be turned of in the settings. If faulty Telstra support should replace modem. 

To check that the 2.4 GHz WiFi is turned on depends on your modem. There are two versions of the smart modem.

On the Arcadyan version (LH1000) check that the 2.4 GHz radio is enabled on the Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Radio tab is enabled and on the Wi-Fi > 2.4 GHz tab check that Wi-Fi Network is enabled and Broadcast SSID is on.

On the Technicolor version (DJA0231) check on the Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz tab that Wi-Fi Radio is enabled and Wi-Fi Network is enabled.

View solution in original post

6_Lockd0wn

Many thanks - will attempt the above solution for Technicolor modem

6_Lockd0wn

Further to the above response, my old device is able to connect to the Arcaydyan model, but not the Technicolor .

Solution is most likely faulty modem.

Thanks for your interest.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more