LionelRichie
Level 2: Rookie

New Sim activation not working

Answered

I bought a new phone for my mother that required a nano sim. Didnt want a replacement sim because that would activate too quickly for me to travel to her as she lives a long way from me, and that would mean her old phone would be redundant and unable to call anyone. Telstra shop then gave me a blank sim and said to activate it via the net. Well, we put her details in and almost a week later, still waiting to activate. I have tried the chat (no hope) I even spoke to someone after waiting on the phone for a while. I was told that they cant activate sim on the phone it has to be done online. So, back to square one. Any suggestions on the next move? Otherwise I think I will close her accounts. We've had enough of the run around. How can something so simple be so difficult ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Emily99
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: New Sim activation not working

Were you still needing help with this one?

There could be a few different reasons why the SIM is having trouble activating.

I'd suggest talking to one of our consultants to get this sorted, as it may be something we need to complete internally.

You can call us on 132200, or, I know you said you didn't have much luck last time, but you can get in touch via our live chat team here: https://tel.st/6bvu7

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Hi @LionelRichie 

Just trying to understand what is happening.

When you tried to activate it online did you get any emails? I'm wondering if there was a glitch and it needs to be done again. As I would've assumed speaking to Telstra they could see the order for the change coming through?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
LionelRichie

Hello thank you for your response, yes you are right, the person I spoke with on the phone was able to see our request she even "did me favour" by recording the Sim number that I was trying to activate. I was told it should activate in "a couple of hours", but there were no emails received to confirm activation and the Sim has still not been activated 4 days later. At least she tried for me and I appreciate her efforts but the outcome has remained the same. No activation.

SteveW_52

Have you tried simply powering off the handset, waiting 30 minutes or more and then powering it back on? I have had trouble with devices in that part that the network thinks are registered..  the power off wait routine seems to fix the false registration..  just a suggestion..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
LionelRichie

Hello, thank you for your suggestion. Yes we have tried that a few times now. Each time just hoping it may work but sadly nothing.

Appreciate your response.

Emily99
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Were you still needing help with this one?

There could be a few different reasons why the SIM is having trouble activating.

I'd suggest talking to one of our consultants to get this sorted, as it may be something we need to complete internally.

You can call us on 132200, or, I know you said you didn't have much luck last time, but you can get in touch via our live chat team here: https://tel.st/6bvu7

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

LionelRichie

Thanks, but I could not resolve this until I personally took my mother into a Telstra shop and they gave me an entirely new sim and activated it immediately. In a world where everything is pushed online with chatbots, message platforms etc, the system failed on every level and even when I went back into the telstra shop I was still not authorised as an authority on her account, after being assured that I was via the message platform. So after an 80k road trip to get her there in person, both issues has been resolved. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more