Mathomp23
Level 2: Rookie

No mobile network but WiFi works fine

Across 3 different Telstra phones no one is able to connect to the internet using mobile data. Our home NBN WiFi is working fine and we’re able to get coverage when we travel 1km down the road so we’re are confident it’s not a problem with our devices and Telstra say there is no outage at our location. Could our modem be causing interference? At a loss for what to try now having done the usual reset settings, cycling power on and off etc.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: No mobile network but WiFi works fine

Did you used to have coverage?

Did you receive an SMS telling you that works were going to be undertaken in the area (usually for 5G installation)? These works can cause dropouts or changes in coverage.

If you have Wi-Fi turned off on your mobile, then the Home Wi-Fi will not interfere with the mobile reception.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - if Mobile Data on the mobile phones is not working and you are sure all settings there are OK, is the web browser currently on the mobile phone Enabled to use Mobile Data. Have your phones had any software updates recently that may have defaulted to the browser being set to OFF or have you exceeded your data download allowances. 

Mathomp23

Yes have had coverage for years, although not very good and exclusive to Telstra. I suspect there is a local outage and they have been unable to send anyone out to confirm it as I live in a regional area.

Mathomp23

Thank you for your suggestions. All phones are configured correctly and have not received recent software updates or exceeded data allowance. They work perfectly provided we travel away from our house and local tower towards our nearest town which I presume has its own form of service. Have checked with my neighbors who are having a similar experience but report having some success when their phones switch onto the 3G network. Certainly seems like the problem is not on our end however I will continue trying the basic options(power cycle, default resets) and reach out to a Telstra technician if the problem persists.

Eltro
Level 1: Cadet

I am no help but the same has occurred for me today.  I recharged my son's phone today online and when I seen him at 5pm he said the recharge hadn't worked. Noticed there is no network connection. But he can connect to our home wifi. I've restarted the phone,  I've turned off wifi and mobile data and played around, I've turned on aeroplane mode and turned off. He's had no recent updates on his phone. So at the moment he has a recharge valid for 28 days that He can't even use. 

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more