mlivson
Level 2: Rookie

No VoLTE or WiFi Calling - New Customer

Answered

Hi - yesterday I ported my number over to Telstra. I am unable to place/receive calls over VoLTE or Voice over WiFi. I am using an iPhone XS Max and the settings have been set to allow both. See photos of my settings. I have tried the basic troubleshooting of ‘Reset Network Settings’ in iOS, restarting the phone, re-inserting SIM card, etc. I have a reliable 4G connection. Can somebody please help me? My suspicion is that VoLTE/VoWiFi has not been enabled on the Telstra side. I called Tech Support and they were unable to assist. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mlivson
Accepted Solution

Re: No VoLTE or WiFi Calling - New Customer

Hi everyone, today I went to the Telstra Store at 400 George St to seek help on my issue. They logged into their Telstra Siebel system to look at the mobile service on my account. There is a drop-down setting to provision VoLTE. They said that due to large influx of customers from JB-HiFi / The Good Guys etc. and due to lack of training, a lot of new accounts are being rushed and not setup properly. After changing the setting, it immediately worked. I’m glad it’s working now because it’s obviously quite important for voice mobility.

Quite disappointing that Telstra phone tech support has zero understanding of the issue you are describing to them for close to 2 hours. Prior to going to the Telstra store, I verified that my phone was not the problem by simply inserting a friend’s Telstra SIM in my phone and observing that VoLTE was immediately working. So these tips about carrier settings software, etc are a bit bogus. Basically go straight into a store and talk to a human being after verifying your settings are correct. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
mlivson

Some extra notes: there is no Telstra outage or coverage issue in my area. The screenshots show me on a call where the network dropped from 4G to 3G (i.e. call not carried over VoLTE). 

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Presuming your phone has previously been used on VF or Optus, they have had the manufacturer provide tailored software to suit their network. When Telstra etc detect a non-Telstra phone on their network, in most occasions they will send you carrier software within the first few days.  It either comes as software or very occasionally a text to click on to accept it, though the latter process is rare these days.

If all else fails, talk to an Apple Genius Bar if they can revert the phone to generic software or specific Telstra software.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
mlivson

Does the carrier software equate to the modem firmware? My modem firmware is: 3.00.01 ~ I checked with a friend who has the same iPhone on Telstra and they have same modem firmware. Otherwise, how do you know what carrier software is installed (Service Provider = Telstra 43.0 c.f. screenshot?). 

Jeez, seems like this is a pretty ugly and inconvenient issue. I'm not clear on how I can get proper support from Telstra. Hoping someone really smart and kind from Telstra reads this and gets in touch with me Smiley Happy

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Tap Settings > General > About. If an update is available, you'll see an option to update your carrier settings

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
mlivson

Thanks Jupiter. No updates are available under Settings -> General -> About. 

mlivson
Accepted Solution

Hi everyone, today I went to the Telstra Store at 400 George St to seek help on my issue. They logged into their Telstra Siebel system to look at the mobile service on my account. There is a drop-down setting to provision VoLTE. They said that due to large influx of customers from JB-HiFi / The Good Guys etc. and due to lack of training, a lot of new accounts are being rushed and not setup properly. After changing the setting, it immediately worked. I’m glad it’s working now because it’s obviously quite important for voice mobility.

Quite disappointing that Telstra phone tech support has zero understanding of the issue you are describing to them for close to 2 hours. Prior to going to the Telstra store, I verified that my phone was not the problem by simply inserting a friend’s Telstra SIM in my phone and observing that VoLTE was immediately working. So these tips about carrier settings software, etc are a bit bogus. Basically go straight into a store and talk to a human being after verifying your settings are correct. 

View solution in original post

ella_samsung
Level 1: Cadet

Hi! Thanks for your post.  I am also getting the run around from Telstra, who are blaming the JB HiFi agreement (apparently the deal doesn't include VoLTE functionality). 

Will head to George Street as Sylvania store staff sent me away with instructions to contact chat bot. And now I'm here...

Any further tips on case I get the one technical who doesn't know anything about this is much appreciated.  

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more