bearkiter
Level 2: Rookie

Odd behaviour on 4G for Ring Camera access

Hi Crowd,

I have a curly one. I'm a network engineer, so bear in mind I've tried EVERY possible solution from the client side.
I just spent the better part of my day trying to solve a remote access issue to our Ring cameras. Everything would work EXCEPT live view from outside our home network. I use Untangle at home, and I even went as far as creating a new VLAN with no filtering and a bunch of bypass policies to try and resolve this.
After hours, I tried on a hunch and switched my S21 Ultra over to the Optus eSIM for data instead of the Telstra SIM.... Instantly everything works fast and smooth. No live view issues from outside the network at all.... Now I'm very curious what Telstra are doing to my 4/5G traffic that breaks the ability to view the cameras. I'm assuming they're blocking some non-standard UDP traffic, or perhaps breaking tunnelling protocols?
Has anyone else experienced similar to this, and is so, was there a Telstra-side issue that could be resolved? I haven't started digging, but it doesn't appear to be a UPNP portmap that's connecting the stream, so I'm assuming it's likely a proxied TLS/SSL connection to Ring servers and over some tunnel back to the live camera feed?
Keen to hear any similar experiences.....

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Odd behaviour on 4G for Ring Camera access

It could be that your mobile when running on the Telstra network is using IPv6 rather than IPv4/IPv6.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dave2017
Level 1: Cadet

YES!!! Broke for me about a week or two ago. I am in Boost but still had this old Telstra account to do a search. I won’t monitor this, but I’m posting on a  Whirlpool thread and I’ve added your comment! Can’t just be a IPv6 thing, I’ve had the ring cameras and a iPhone XR working fine for years. 

Jupiter

I don't post to Whirlpool, so if you don't bother following up here, then you'll miss this reply.

Telstra has only recently changed their mobile network to IPv6, which causes issues with some systems that haven't been updated to run on IPv6. You need to change the setting on your mobile device to IPv4/6 and it should start working again (the telstra.internet APN is set to IPv4/6 while telstra.wap is set to IPv6 only by default)

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dave2017

Fair enough… I’m already on telstra.internet

Is there an option to specify IPv4 on iOS 14.6?

Jupiter

It's in the APN settings (you may need to change to a different APN in order to change the settings - on my Android phone you can't change the settings on an APN whilst it is active). Being on iOS, you could try changing to telstra.iph to see if it makes a difference as well.

DickoNT

HI, I have the same issue. It is resolved when I connect with a VPN but wondering if anyone found a solution to just use 4G. I contacted Ring and they believe their end is fine and I contacted Telstra who also same the same!, however works on other providers so Telstar seems to be the thing that block live access?

TazFX

I started having the same issue a few days ago. None of the suggestions have worked on my iPhone. I tried a SIM for another provider in my phone, and Live View worked immediately so it is definitely a Telstra issue.

@telstra - Please resolve this issue. My Ring camera has worked for years and is now pretty much useless.

Jupiter

You will need to contact Telstra customer support via 132200 or by sending a message through the My Telstra app (or My Telstra via the website).

Have you tried using a VPN on your iPhone to get it working in the meantime?

DickoNT

HI,

I have contacted both Telstra and Ring. Unfortunately you end up going around in circles as Ring blame Telstra and Telstra blame the ring App so nothing ends up being resolved.  I have a VPN so I can access it but its just annoying and should work without having to do this. 

TazFX

I appreciate the suggestion but VPN is not really a workable solution for me, plus this is something Telstra should take responsibility for rather than leaving us to find our own solutions.

I contacted support via the Telstra app and wasted 5 hours with them blaming my phone   the whole time, even though I proved it’s a carrier issue by using a different SIM.

Jupiter

It has been a problem with Ring globally for at least 4 years that I can see in the reddit forums. If you are on a connection that uses IPv6, then the video feed from Ring will not work. It needs an IPv4 only connection.

Can't connect to Ring Pro over LTE/4G but I can on the same phone over WiFi. : ringdoorbell (reddit....

TazFX

I’ve found an odd workaround on my iPhone. The Ring camera will connect in Live View when I have the Personal Hotspot active on my phone. My wife had the same issue and it works on hers as well. 

DickoNT

HI, Just confirmed it  working as well. Sometimes it wont connect but if i turn the hotspot on and off and go back into the app it works

Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

It could be an iOS bug. Most of the time I have to turn my iPhone hotspot off and then back on before other devices can see it.

It sounds like an issue that you can contact Apple Support about.

Dowser

Further to my above post, I just had an experience where two different iPhone devices would not connect to my iPhone hotspot (both stating that no internet was available which was incorrect). Restarting my iPhone allowed both devices to connect to my iPhone straight away.

Would you please try restarting your iPhone on an occasion that it will not provide access to your Ring cameras.

TazFX

Restarting my phone was amongst all of the troubleshooting I did when the Live View stopped working. Before finding that turning on the Personal Hotspot actually got it working, the only other success I had was swapping out my SIM to test with one from another carrier. Changing the

SIM worked immediately without any other changes then the problem came back as soon as I used my own SIM again. 

Just like DickoNT said, sometimes it won’t connect, but switching the hotspot off and on does help.

DickoNT

Starting to think it is an ios bug.

restarted and would not connect to ring.  Open personal hotspot ( did not turn it on or off - it as on) went back to app and it works.  Have been able to replicate this now several time.  Just have to open the setting - personal hotspot and then go to app and it signs in.  Very odd as I don't actually change anything.

WhatevaGoes

is everyone using the Rapid Ring iOS app or just the standard Ring iOS app? This issue has been driving me crazy, but seems to be specific to the Rapid Ring app….

Rod327

Hi mate. Just wondering if you’ve had any luck as yet to rectify live view. Thanks 

DickoNT

No luck other than having to use a VPN 

Dham83
Level 3: Gumshoe

Same issue since today! Works at home with wifi but as soon as I turn off wifi live view doesn’t work. Shared cameras to my mum who is with Optus and it works everytime! So annoyed Telstra have made this change! Telstra support doesn’t know how to fix it so blame ring. Guess I’ll be moving to another mobile carrier then! Not wasting $$$ for new cameras only to have them not work thanks to Telstra!!

Dham83

Confirm turning hot spot

On is a work around for the moment

Vejay

This is a problem for us as well. I have tried the suggested solutions. Ie VPN and switching hotspot off and on with no luck when using cellular data. Switch WiFi on at home and it works fine. I have tried on a different cellular network and it works fine. I have spent hours narrowing it down and it is definitely something to do with the Telstra network. This is very frustrating as the ring is pretty much useless if you can’t access it remotely on cellular network. 
telstra please look into this. 

Dham83

Yep! Hotspot worked once for me and no more!

I’ve tried another cellular network and no issue at all. Works straight away. Connect to wifi at home or at work and no problem. Turn wifi off and use cellular and the live view

doesnt load but still get notifications.

definitely a Telstra issue! Could be they are moving/moved to ipv6 and ring live view servers use ipv4 only - we have no choice to use ipv6 which is frustrating! I’ll definitely be switching networks when my contract is up soon. I don’t even know why people post on this forum as Telstra never looks at it or helps? I guess it’s just a place for customers to vent.

DickoNT

I spoke to Telstra and I believe that the itelstra using ipv6 and ring live view servers use ipv4 us the issues and I tested on some tunneling software for ipv4 which then worked. While it doesn’t work with Telstra, Ring need to make the update to ipv6 compatibility. I raised this with Ring but didn’t really get anywhere. Maybe if enough people contact Ring they will make the change. 

Dowser

Has the situation improved with iOS 15?.

Does your aforementioned solution of simply going to the Settings-> Personal hotspot page still work?.

Interestingly, I have found that that solution also works for making my hotspot viewable for other devices, such as other iPhones, computers etc. It appears to be an iOS bug because my hotspot is always turned on (but not always viewable).

Jupiter

Ring have been aware of the problem with IPv6 connections since late 2019 when customers overseas started having the same problems. Given that they haven't done anything about it yet, it doesn't seem likely that they are going to fix it in a hurry (or maybe they just don't know how to fix it).

Dham83

Upgraded to ios15 on my iPhone 12 and no improvement. Definitely not an iOS bug as I put my mums Optus sim in my phone and the live views works straight away. Hotspot doesn’t work either

t00dles

I can confirm after live view not working on mobile data for several months that changing to telstra.iph fixed the problem for me! 

TazFX

Upgrading to iOS 15 on my iPhone 12 actually fixed the problem for me. Hopefully it keeps working. 

Dham83

Mines working this morning again as well as ring.com released a new app update this morning. If you upgraded to ios15 this morning that is why. Fingers crossed it stays!!

WhatevaGoes

I tried again this morning with ios15, the latest Rapid Ring App and Telstra.internet as the APN and it was still broken. I then changed it to Telstra.iph, disabled my radios and re-enacted them (flight mode in/off) and now it is working again. Let’s see how long this lasts.

Dowser

Updating both iOS and the Ring app means that you cannot definitely say which eliminated the problem.

Dham83

I upgraded to ios15 last week and it still didn’t work. Even last night - I’ve tested daily. Upgraded ring app this morning and it works 🤷🏼‍

Dowser

Thank you for that extra information.

Ollie1983

I have the same issue for months now. Ring is telling me it's a Telstra streaming issue/option. I've ask Telstra, they submitted a request (Aka Oversea support has no clue). 

In the meantime I did some test on my iPhone with my Profile Configurator I was able to force IPV4 on the phone, still no luck. If it's an IPV6 issue, it would be within the Telstra Network.

Since we are on a corporate account, we even have the Extranet open/activated and this is still not working.

At this stage I have 2 options, replace 10 Ring Cameras/Doorbell or change service provider, which I don't have any contact with... the solution is quite clear at this stage.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more