Level 1: Cadet

Oneplus pro 8 no longer getting 5G

I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

So, I recently put in an international sim for roaming testing which I know disables 5G. I took the SIM out and restarted the phone and ever since then, I have not been able to get 5G connection.

Solutions tried below:

1. I've tried swapping the SIM card into the other slot, restarting
  2. Tried a network reset which reset my WiFi, bluetooth and data network
  3. I've tried putting in the telstra.iph APN
  4. I've tried other telstra default APNs
  5. I've tried reseting the APN to default
  6. I've tried putting it into aeroplane mode and off
  7. I've tried bringing the automatic network connection to 3G then back to 5G

So far none of the above have worked, I tried ordering a replacement sim but they denied it because I'm a fresh customer (started last month). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Oneplus pro 8 no longer getting 5G

Have you disabled the second SIM slot's service? Some Dual SIM phones do not work with 5G if the second SIM slot has been used. It needs to be disabled in settings to get 5G working again.

The final option is the dreaded Factory Reset.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

I have disabled the second SIM, there's only one SIM in there now

I think I might have to factory reset, I did some digging and apparently one plus 8 pro has someo weird issues with the carrier policy not enabling 5G.

If anyone else is curious, link below.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/no-5g-connection-8-pro-australia.1235800/

The Google Pixel 5 & iPhone 12 suffer from similar problems, and it's not just limited to Australia. They have a way to go to get their firmware operating properly with Dual SIM devices and 5G.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

I'm glad to know it's not just a phone issue then, although if there's any alternative to factory reseting a phone, I'd love to hear it lol

Unfortunately, you've tried all the options that I can think of short of the factory reset.

Make sure that you back up everything first.

Level 2: Rookie

Did the factory reset work? I'm having the same problem...

Same issue here.  Upgraded to android 11, now 5G is dead. 

Hi all,

Apologies replying, unfortunately a factory reset and wiping the phone (power + volume down) still didn't fix the 5G however the 5G option is there, so not sure why it's not picking up 5G now

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more