sam3017
Level 2: Rookie

Optus to Telstra prepaid porting taking over 48 hours!

Answered

I went to the Telstra store on Saturday and purchased a Telstra prepaid sim card.

Staff initiated the Optus to Telstra porting process. It is end of day Monday now and my porting still hasn't gone through.  When they checked my order at the store earlier today, it was under 'provisioning' stage.

I was told that it would take a maximum of 24 hours for the porting to complete which is obviously not the case.

Does porting usually take this long?   What can I do to get this sorted ASAP?

I use the phone for work and I have no credit on my Optus as I am waiting for the porting to complete so I can use my $30 prepaid Telstra sim card.  This is urgent for me!

Cheers,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sam3017
Accepted Solution

Re: Optus to Telstra prepaid porting taking over 48 hours!

Solved by escalating via Live chat...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented

Something are taking longer than usual at Telstra..  not the answer you want, but seems to be a common complaint here.

Have you tried power cycling your handset occasionally to let the SIM register properly again? It has worked for me sometimes (or seemed to - might just have been a coincidence)..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
sam3017

Haven't put the Telstra sim in yet because Optus is still active.  I was told to wait until it shows 'SOS only'.

Besides, since Telstra system says 'Provisioning' so process hasn't completed in the back end.

It is just misleading for them to tell customers that it would take a maximum of 24 hours where in reality the service is not functional even after 48 hours and who knows how much longer it will take.

When I call 132200 and select Pre-Paid all I get is machine, no human at the other end no matter what option I choose.

Regretting porting already!

Common Telstra..

SteveW_52

I'd still try a power cycle, in case the SIM is 'latched on'..  I'd even try swapping the SIM and see what happens.. you can always go back to the Optus one..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Sometimes a typo regarding  address or some small seemingly insignificant typo or information can cause this.

Suggest you visually check all your information where you did the port.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
sam3017
Accepted Solution

Solved by escalating via Live chat...

View solution in original post

Lito01
Level 1: Cadet

I also have an almost same situation, but postpaid plan and taking my number from Optus to Telstra. I  received the phone on Wednesday 25 November 2020 and activate it online. They said it will only take a few hours and be connected with Telstra. It's Saturday 28 November and still waiting for connection. Then I get a message that they are working on it and will take 72 hours. There is no assurance that I  will be connected by that time. I regret going back to Telstra, I should have stayed at Optus, which was two years ago , I  brought my mobile number with them and got it working on the same day. BAD SERVICE

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more