Yokki
Level 1: Cadet

Phone defaulting to WiFi Calls

Folks,

Lately I find that my Android phone seems to be defaulting to WiFi calls at home, even though I have perfectly good mobile reception.  Yesterday I was calling my son and he noticed the same thing.  We've never had problems with reception at either end.

What gives?

Yokki

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Phone defaulting to WiFi Calls

The speed on your wifi connection may be better than your 4G connection. This is normal behaviour if your phone is connected to your home wifi and it detects that it will get better service on the wifi connection.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Yokki

Aha.  That makes sense... my Telstra (non-NBN) cable give me a pretty good service.

Yokki

... however, it does disagree with Telstra's description of how WiFi calls work.  What I've read basically says that it moves to WiFi when mobile reception is inadequate, not when the WiFi signal is better than mobile.  The distinction might be moot, but we did have a call drop out last night, and I think it might have been when switching from mobile signal to WiFi at my son's place.

Anyway... thanks for your reply and information.

Yokki

Jupiter

The phone's software makes the call on which system it uses, not the network. And yes, I have experienced problems with calls over WiFi as well. They aren't as smooth as on LTE, although I haven't had one drop out completely.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more