Level 2: Rookie

Poor mobile reception

Answered

I live at green pigeon nsw northern rivers. I have a Telstra booster I still have difficulty getting mobile reception I have a iPhone 7 Plus.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Poor mobile reception

Local guy installed it he had trouble right from the start was only 1 signal bar on mobiles right from the start and drops out he placed them about 4 mths apart the antenna is on the roof we have done some Reno’s so moved the repeater at the moment sitting on the floor inside the plastic box is about 4 mths apart. He used some device to try get the best signal originally. We have to set it up again but some advice would be helpful of est way to do this thanks 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 23: Superhero

Is it the "smart Antenna" in 2 plastic boxes or the Go 1 unit repeater?

Who installed it please?

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

There is

OK that's an aftermarket Cel Fi device, similar to the official Telstra Go repeater.

Has it ever worked properly?

The problem is that Telstra have to have it licensed to work correctly within their network.

The installation is critical.

Did you install it?

How long is the cable to the antenna?

Where is it located?

How did you choose where to point the antenna?

It's also important to know what frequency band the nearest Telstra cell site is transmitting on and whether the repeater is set to that specific band via the Wave app.

You really need to give me plenty of information.

In addition to where the antenna is pointed, it's critical that the antenna is not "seem" by the repeater.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
Accepted Solution

Local guy installed it he had trouble right from the start was only 1 signal bar on mobiles right from the start and drops out he placed them about 4 mths apart the antenna is on the roof we have done some Reno’s so moved the repeater at the moment sitting on the floor inside the plastic box is about 4 mths apart. He used some device to try get the best signal originally. We have to set it up again but some advice would be helpful of est way to do this thanks 

View solution in original post

Because it's a generic device and not designed for Telstra, that's problem number one.

The installation is the most important part of the process as the Telstra installer would establish what frequency band the nearest tower transmits on, and will then access the menu in the repeater through the Wave app to set the repeater to match the frequency Telstra is sending.The internal cabling is also very important.   It can vary from Band 28 (770 MHz)  to over 2000 MHz and as you are not using a Telstra specified repeater, it possibly may never work correctly.

If you want a successful installation, you need to purchase through the Coverage Department of Telstra a licensed Telstra specified repeater and full installation by a specially trained  Telstra installer.

I'm really sorry, but this is not a "plug and play" device.  It's a professional device.  You may want to speak to the company who sold it to you as they possibly may be able to arrange an installer, but at the end of the day it's not a Telstra device.  Sorry, but that's all I can suggest.

Ok thanks for your help is wasn’t cheap it was $1200 he said it was a Telstra approved one I think but it was a couple of years ago so who knows. Reception is very poor out here as lots of hills around us and you can’t see any towers around us 

No. if it was Telstra approved, it would be branded Telstra to suit their network.

All 3 networks in Australia have them specially programmed to suit their networks. It's a bit like trying to fit a generic spare part to your car. Sometimes it fits and sometimes it doesn't.

Telstra sell a package of the official Telstra Go repeater with full installation for about $1500 in the cities, and extra for regional areas. Their installers have access to where the nearest tower is and exactly what frequency bands it transmits and sets the repeater to match it.

It also has to be licensed.

Another really critical thing is the routing of the cable between the external antenna and the device...and which antenna outside is used.

Ring Telstra and speak to the Coverage Department and they can have a proper working set up installed.

Good luck

PS  Try ringing Powertec whose name and number is on the device and see if they have someone who can really make it work.  They really will need the Telstra base station info regardless.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more