Level 1: Cadet

Port number

Hi,

I am trying trying to port a number out of our company account and constantly running into issues. 

The task is simple.

- Mobile number is with company account on Telstra Wholesale

- End-user wants the to go with Telstra

... meaning Telstra have to port it from Wholesale to Retail on their own network.

Online support is telling me they can't see who the number. Wholesale company support telling me they can't port the number out for us.

I provided Telstra with account number and a written letterhead from our company and spend countless hours with support already running in circles. Any idea what I can do?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Port number

The ability to port the number will depend on the service type that you have with Telstra Wholesale (note: Telstra Wholesale and Telstra are functionally separate companies - which was a Government Imposed requirement to structurally separate the infrastructure and retail businesses).

You will have to deal with Telstra Wholesale to understand why they can't/won't port the service out.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Hmmm okay thank you. Doesn't really help as Telstra Wholesale is telling me they can't port it out of our account. Telstra Retail has to do the action. 

Might as well suggest to move to Optus or Vodafone, seems to be easier to get the number to a different carrier and trying to sort out an internal process issue at Telstra Smiley Sad

I understand the argument that they are functionally separate companies but really frustrating for an end user ...

OK. I was assuming that Telstra Wholesale said that the number wasn't able to be ported.

It will be a messy process, as your company will have to create a new service with Telstra Retail to port the service out (ie sign up to a month to month plan with Telstra Retail and request the service be ported in - in the company's name). After the port is complete you will then need to do a change of ownership to transfer the service from the company to the individual.

It would be easier to do in person at a store.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

okay thank you, I might just give the in-store option a try Smiley Happy

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more