RobM54
Level 1: Cadet

Porting a number to Telstra

Ninety four hours ago I took delivery from Telstra of my new Pixel phone. The Telstra shop assistant told me it would take a couple of hours to bring my old number across from iinet. "A couple of hours?" I asked. "Well, 24 hours tops," the sales assistant reassured me.

I won't bore you with all the details. The calls to Telstra. The conversations and broken promises by Telstra operators. The waiting around for hours and hours. Days and Days.

Finally I went back to the Telstra shop yesterday and was told the SIM card inserted into my new phone was faulty.

A replacement card was fitted. "When will the phone work?" I asked the shop manager. "Give it a couple of hours."

I gave it a couple of hours and nothing. I phoned Telstra again and was told I'd have to wait 24 hours from the time the sim card was replaced until my case could be escalated. That 24 hours will have elapsed in 75 minutes.

What does "escalate" mean anyway? I've established that the number has been released by the other provider and that the SIM card in my phone works properly. What's the hold-up? There are two possibilities: Telstra is a hopelessly run company or Telstra despises its customers. I've been offered empathy from everyone I've spoken to but no one has been able to help me.

Is there anyone out there who cares about this complaint? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
MammaB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Porting a number to Telstra

I realise how frustrating this has become and how enough is enough. Were you provided with any form of ref # for the activation? Our Mobile Assurance Team is available directly via either  http://tel.st/8jgx or on 13 2200 (MobilePhoneFaults).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Bento
Level 1: Cadet

My partner has been waiting 5 days for a number to be ported from Optus to Telstra. Hopeless. Same spiel: up to 24 hours max. Next day: up to 72 hrs max. After 5 days: we have an unexpected problem and the porting team are not answering calls!

We have been on hold for hours to the Portability team who don't answer the phone.

Telstra: the complaint reference is #INT1-1353390315600. Fix it today. Business is being lost and you will be held accountable for this loss. Every minute spent on the phone with impotent call centre staff blaming other processes/teams/unexpected delays is costing you credibility. 

JessicaCL
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Bento,

I can most certainly appreciate your frustrations. Please contact us via live chat at this link  http://tel.st/hsc3 and our team will look into this further.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more