rewqrwqrew
Level 3: Gumshoe

Porting to Telstra, MAJOR ISSUES HELP!!!

I often travel to regional areas in Australia and need a reliable connection.

I have tried to port to Telstra on 4 occasions now using a starter kit from Coles or Wollies. (Prepaid).

Today I went into a Telstra store and asked if they could do the port. They did.

My mobile is a Pixel 4, latest firmware.

Every time I port the following happens.

After the port Voice (making and receiving calls) will work fine.

BUT, data will be disabled for whatever reason on my account.

I can receive SMS but I cannot send SMS.

I cannot browse Internet unless I have WiFi.

I have contacted Telstra support (the app) several times but they cannot figure out what is going on.

I checked if my number could be recharged on https://recharge.telstra.com.au/enternumber even though I ported it today.

Recharge your Pre-Paid service

Invalid mobile number

The number you entered is no longer active. Please check the number and try again.

I am lost. I need to port to Telstra prepaid.

I will buy a coffee and cake (Hey you app) for the person that can resolve this issue. Thanks in advance

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Porting to Telstra, MAJOR ISSUES HELP!!!

Hi @rewqrwqrew 

Since you ported today the system might not have fully caught up yet?

I'd also try a network reset in your phone if you haven't done that already? The APN settings may still have your old provider info?

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
rewqrwqrew

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have tried to port my prepaid service to Telstra 5 times (today included).

Same things happens. Voice ok but data will never be enabled on my service.

Once I transfer out to Optus or Vodafone everything will work fine.

Last time I purchased another prepaid telstra sim kit without porting that number.

That sim worked fine. Something with my number. I spoke to telstra today and it came up in their system as terminated...

rewqrwqrew

I spoke to the porting team today at telstra.

Lady said, don't worry. It will work as promised 8pm tonight...

Still the same issue. 

No data.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

That is an odd one. A port should either come up as successful or failed. Never heard of it as being terminated. That would tend to indicate that there is a flag in the system that is effectively blacklist your number from being accepted by Telstra.

The only way to find out what is going on would be to lodge a formal complaint asking for the issue to be investigated. Lodge the complaint by going to https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
rewqrwqrew

Thanks for your response.

I would assume that the person at the Telstra store would have been able to see in the system that my number was blacklisted (for whatever reason).

I have spend almost $150 on prepaid sim kits when trying to get this to work.

This is not good customer service when their online support cannot be bothered to look into it properly.

Jupiter

The frontline consultants and store staff may not have access to that type of information. It may be in a backend system that requires specific access.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Ozmoz

Hi @rewqrwqrew 

Well, the first thing is to stop buying prepaid kits.

Your issue is unique (Something I have never seen posted here before), and as @Jupiter has suggested, I think the 'complaints' section is the best way to handle it as it's going to take someone with more knowledge than general support (As you are finding out).

The Telstra store reps don't have full access to the backend to track the issue down.

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.
rewqrwqrew

The person that was assigned my complaint was supposed to contact me today. No response.

The person that I spoke to  yesterday (backend support) was supposed to contact me today. No response.

This is the 5th time I try to port to Telstra without success. This is not good Telstra :-(

rewqrwqrew

Latest update..

Still no response.

I guess they cannot be bothered.

What happens in a medical emergency situation and I need to use SMS but because of Telstra, I don't have access to SMS.

This is poor customer service...

LukeV
Support Team
Support Team

What was your reference number for the complaint? Happy to follow up on this for you. - Luke

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ozmoz

@rewqrwqrew wrote:

Latest update..

Still no response.

I guess they cannot be bothered.

What happens in a medical emergency situation and I need to use SMS but because of Telstra, I don't have access to SMS.

This is poor customer service...

Hi @rewqrwqrew 

FYI: You can call 000, 112, or 106 for emergency calls whether the service is active, suspended, or disconnected. Which is more important than SMS's I think.

Hopefully, @LukeV can sort your issue out.

rewqrwqrew

I hope Luke can help me out. I have sent him a message.

rewqrwqrew

Hi Luke, still no response from Telstra...

I appreciate your help Luke.

BUT, very disappointed with the way Telstra is handling this complaint.

The other 4 times when I have requested support (and one complaint) in relation to this issue I have ported out after 7-10 days due to Telstra's inability to resolve this issue.

BUT, I am not leaving this time.

I will take it all the way to the ombudsman if necessary.

Very unhappy with Telstra at the moment.

rewqrwqrew

Today is Tuesday and still no response from Telstra

Dowser
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

@rewqrwqrew wrote:

Today is Tuesday and still no response from Telstra

If possible, put your SIM card into another device and check if the issue exists there too.

rewqrwqrew

Tried everything.

Complaints department responded and said that Mobile Portability Department will take over.

Ozmoz

@rewqrwqrew wrote:

Tried everything.

Complaints department responded and said that Mobile Portability Department will take over.

Hi @rewqrwqrew 

Well, then it's in their hands. Nothing we can do on CS.

The only other option is to contact the CEO's office to try and speed things up https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form 

I had to go that way myself recently when the current support was inept.

rewqrwqrew

Mobile Portability Department responded today.

Said that everything is working fine and the port has NOW been completed successfully...

Still the same problem as before and no progress.

Very frustrating. 

Dowser

@rewqrwqrew wrote:

Still the same problem as before and no progress.

Very frustrating. 

Have you considered visiting a Telstra store & joining a ‘regular’ plan?.

- ar least they might take some ownership if you still have issues

rewqrwqrew

I actually went in to a telstra store this time and activated the prepaid sim card.

I have been thinking of going on a postpaid plan later on but need to sort this out first.

Very frustrating. 

My gutfeeling is that the telstra system think that I am still on a postpaid plan (ported out 15 months ago).

Dowser

@rewqrwqrew wrote:

I actually went in to a telstra store this time and activated the prepaid sim card.

I have been thinking of going on a postpaid plan later on but need to sort this out first.

Very frustrating. 

Postpaid plans are month by month so you would not be locked in. As per my previous comment, the store should take some ownership.

Dowser

Here is a link to a Telstra page with useful settings that you can check.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/mobiles-devices/mobile-reception-interrupted

rewqrwqrew

When not even the Mobile Portability Department can resolve this, then something is wrong.

I had an important meeting this morning. Needed to adjust the GPS settings but that is not possible without a data connection :-(

I probably have to get a prepaid data sim and bring a portable router when I go out.

What a mess.

I will wait until Tuesday morning, if it does not work by then, then I will lodge a complaint with the ombudsman.

JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Hey rewqrwqrew,

I recommend getting in touch with Telstra via the app and having the mobile team check for any restrictions or barring on your service.

Give this a try and le us know how you go.

- Jess

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

rewqrwqrew

Hi Jess, I have tried to contact Telstra support so many times. 

The telstra mobility team said they successfully put me on a postpaid plan (my request) to see if it would change things. BUT, still the same issue. What makes me frustrated is the fact as soon as I port away from Telstra everything works fine.

This is the 6th time I try to port to Telstra without success. The port is successful when it comes to the current provider letting go of the number but as soon as the port goes into the Telstra system everything falls apart....

I believe that somewhere in the Telstra system, there is a port away from Telstra that was not successful on Telstra's part, the Telstra system treated it as a failed port, the number was in the Telstra system long enough for Telstra to treat it as deactivated. But the number works with Vodafone and Optus without any issues.

It has been 3 weeks now since I went into a Telstra store (Cannington WA) and requested for them to do the port from Optus to Telstra. Service is still not working.

I would have thought that there would be at least one staff at Telstra that would be able to look into this and see what has happened.

I contact support today and very interesting that they think that the number is prepaid when another department sent me an email which said that it is now postpaid.

Don't forget that I have spent money on 7 Telstra prepaid sim starter kits so far.

What a mess.

rewqrwqrew

I requested for my number to be transferred to a postpaid plan.

It works fine now.

Telstra does not know what caused the issue.

Does not matter what caused it, most important thing is that it works now.

Dowser

It’s been an ordeal for you. I’m glad that it’s working.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more