rlreed
Level 1: Cadet

Pre-paid mobiles international roaming

I want to take my Telstra pre-paid mobile to Argentina for two months, mainly to receive texts from Australia. According to the Telstra web site, pre-paid mobiles will not work in Argentina (and most other South American nations) but mobiles on a plan will work...is this correct? It may be quite obvious but I don't understand how Argentine phone networks could differentiate between mobiles on a plan and ones that are pre-paid. I just thought I'd check before I converted my mobile to a plan. Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Pre-paid mobiles international roaming

It may be quite obvious but I don't understand how Argentine phone networks could differentiate between mobiles on a plan and ones that are pre-paid.

I'm just guessing here, but…

International roaming is not just a technical capability but also a commercial arrangement between telcos in different countries. If the international roaming partner cannot determine whether the Australian mobile service roaming on its network is post-paid or pre-paid, then mobile network service would end up being provided “at risk”, meaning that the customer may not end up paying for it (if it is a pre-paid service and his/her recharge balance and/or bonus credit has run out, say in the middle of a call). Furthermore, if there is no commercial arrangement between Telstra and a particular international partner such that one of the parties will accept the commercial risk, then roaming in that country on a pre-paid service will not be available; technically it could be as simple as Telstra not advising its international partner of these pre-paid services when transmitting an allowed-to-roam list of services, and by default they will not be allowed to connect to the partner's network.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more