Boarders
Level 1: Cadet

Prepaid 4GX WiFi Hotspot MF985T not charging

As the title states. This device was purchased in April but will not charge for more than 45 seconds. I urgently need to have this device working for a business trip in a couple of days but the Telstra call centre operator couldn't help and Telstra Shops are closed. I think I might need it replaced as it's less than 5 months old but don't have the means to get Telstra to look at it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Prepaid 4GX WiFi Hotspot MF985T not charging

Is it the charging indicator only shows for 45 seconds? And the battery is not fully charged (and runs out quickly)?

Have you tried charging from a different USB charger, rather than the one that came with the device?

It should be possible to remove the battery and run the modem from a USB connection, I have done that on a couple of Netgear devices due to bad batteries - but not that specific modem you have.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Boarders
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I've tried different chargers (all 2.1A), different cables, different power outlets, device on, device off and I've even cleaned all contacts to make sure there was good contact. The battery runs down even though it's connected to a charger. I wouldn't say it runs down quickly, but it runs down.

The charge indicator on screen shows for about 20 seconds, then it turns off, a red LED comes on then after 45 seconds stops.

The WiFi hotspot cannot be used without the battery in place unfortunately.

SteveW_52

Those were just quick options..  a new battery might be worth a try, if you can get one in the time frame..  maybe there is an ebay retailer close to you?

For travelling I use the non battery USB wingles (some places I go I can't have anything with a battery with me) - just plug it into a USB port or charger but still have Wi-Fi. They can be picked up quite cheaply - such as the E8372h-608 Huawei - got one of those from Woolworths last time.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more