XLX
Level 1: Cadet

Prepaid roaming being phased out

Hi,

got the notice that you will be phasing out roaming for prepaid from 13 oct.  However upon speaking with online chat they said those on existing prepaid plans will not be affected which contradicts what was posted by telstra.  Please clarify.  
Alex Chin

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Prepaid roaming being phased out

Hi XLX,

The Telstra Employee that you were speaking online with obviously hasn't been told about the change's.

You're not the first customer that has been told incorrect information. 

From the 13th October 2020 you won't be able to use International Roaming on any Pre-Paid plan.

@ashliem are you able to forward this onto the relevant team and stop the Telstra Employee's giving Pre-Paid customer's wrong information?

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
ashliem
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Smiley3 

I appreciate you flagging this post with me.

I'll share this with the relevant teams to be reviewed.

Thanks so much!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines.

Woody4
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Ashliem. I was really surprised to receive the text advice about the changes to prepaid plans.  It is a highly competitive market for prepaid plans and while Telstra was certainly not the cheapest, that was offset by the great value international roaming packs. Also the access to Telstra Air. While we generally can't travel o/s again until possibly mid 2021 it seems very strange to drop a feature of the existing prepaid plans but be unable to give any detail of the replacement until mid 2021.  It is almost as if Telstra is saying to prepaid customers, we are taking away the features which distinguish our product and it would probably be good if you went to a cheaper plan with one of our competitors.  A number of my friends who are on Telstra prepaid plans are also unable to make any sense of what Telstra is doing.  Virtually all are considering moving to other providers as there seems little point in continuing with Telstra.  Did Telstra know how prepaid customers would react to the changes.  We are not sure it is appropriate to call removing key features "simplification".

Would really like to better understand why Telstra is stripping these distinguishing features of their prepaid plans.

Gum1
Level 2: Rookie

For those of us stuck or living overseas we urgently need to know if Telstra Wi-Fi Call ('VoWiFi Calling' or 'VoWiFi') will still be available for making/receiving calls and SMS to/from Australia for Pre-Paid plans after 13 OCT, when the International Roaming is terminated. Thanks

Gum1

Telstra Wi-Fi Call ('VoWiFi Calling' or 'VoWiFi') is the solution If @ashliem could confirm that it is independent of International Roaming. While overseas and connected to Wi-Fi, Telstra Wi-Fi Call allows you to make and receive calls and SMS back to Australia at no additional charge. https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/telstravowifi  

Woody4
Level 3: Gumshoe

My concern is more in receiving SMS to my usual number when out of Australia.  An increasing number of organisations which want to protect their customers accounts are now using 2 stage authentication before allowing you to access your account.  This means a code is sent to your mobile number to allow you to continue with the transaction.

A local SIM or travel SIM will not allow you to receive these SMS messages. As far as I can tell there is no way to forward these SMS messages to another number.  So Telstra's action is stopping international roaming for pre-paid customers until at least 2021 will really cause problems. Most other pre-paid providers are still going to be offering international roaming so it is a complete mystery why Telstra would choose to cause their customers such inconvenience and so damage the "brand".  As a part owner of Telstra this is a major concern to me and my fellow Telstra owners.

Wifi can be used to do many of the things we need to do when out of Australia. BUT it won't allow us to receive SMS messages to our usual number and as per above that is a major problem.

I hope Telstra staff and management keep an eye on what is being posted here. It is really the only way we (as shareholders and customers) can expose the problems.

Gum1

While overseas and connected to Wi-Fi, Telstra Wi-Fi Call ('VoWiFi Calling' or 'VoWiFi') allows you to make and receive calls and SMS back to Australia at no additional charge using your Telstra Pre-Paid SIM. I'm using it now overseas and it works great. The question is whether this feature will still be available when the International Roaming is terminated. It's impossible to talk to a person in tech support who could give an answer. The Telstra article "We’re phasing out a few Pre-Paid features" doesn't mention Telstra Wi-Fi Call.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

According to the documentation, VoWifi and SMSoWifi should still work. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
b25969280

For those of us who. submitted requests for refunds of prepaid credits (mine were submitted on 18 Oct  2020 before the cutoff date of 20 Oct 2020) -as per your msg of Sept 11 2020 - when can I expect to see response to refund request submissions?

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more