Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

prepaid SIM not connecting to local network in Germany

Hi all, I am currently in Germany working and my Telstra prepaid SIM is not working in my iPhone SE (with latest software) My Germany SIM works just fine in the phone so I know it is not the phone. I need to receive SMS sometimes for validating accounts on my Telstra SIM. I have gone through the list of things (turn phone on and off; reset network setting; tried the abysmal Telstra 24/7 App) but nothing is seeming to work. It has worked previously and using the "check my phone" on Telstra site it seems all is ok with my SIM. Any helpful pointers appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: prepaid SIM not connecting to local network in Germany

The 24/7 app has been replaced by the My Telstra app. use that, or m.telstra.com to check to make sure that International Roaming is not disabled on your service.

If it is still not working, send a message using the My Telstra app (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help Screen) on your mobile. Include your full name, where you are, that International Roaming is not working. Then if Codi sends you somewhere else, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat to a human. Mark the message as urgent by tapping on the icon in the top right of the message screen.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

thanks for your suggestions Jupiter but I am pulling my hair out!

I cant use the Telstra App on my phone as there is no connection to network. When I try to contact to Telstra I simply have not been able to get through - at all in any way.

The online version of codi just does not get my anywhere and the numerous calls I end up being "knocked offline" before any person speaks with me, it is terribly frustrating as i am now locked out of my online banking too now without the sim.

I have had my phone checked by Apple and they say it is my SIM (and my German SIM works perfectly fine in the phone) 

I have done a factory reset (several times) with the Telstra SIM inside hoping that would resolve the issue but it did not

I am at my wits end! Smiley Sad

Highlighted

ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Smiley Frustrated

so I finally connected with a live person on the Telstra message app and after almost an frustrating hour the consultant said my prepaid was an old version and I needed to get a new package.   Arrrgh!!      T

Then why was my sim working up until recently just fine?

So I dutifully managed to set up a new package, the prepaid complete, made sure it has new recharge, and STILL NO CONNECTION. 

And now there is not any reply AT ALL on the message app.

I tried calling phone line help to Telstra now several times and just getting bumped off.

Today is my day off, specifically to get this sorted. I desperately need to receive sms messages form Australia for my banking and other personal matters.

I have been non stop trying  now for 6 hours. PLEASE if anyone has a tip please, please help!

Highlighted

ok, I am even more frustrated!  and Desperate!

I have been online with this today (not including time spent the past 2 weeks) for now 12.5 hours.

please does someone know a phone number I can actually talk with someone? I am prepared to stay up overnight to reach someone real.

I keep getting told the same steps over and over - and it does not work

and then I get told to call the Aus 132999 which I cant call from here and the alternative is the free call from Aus mobile +61 439125 but, I cant access network so cant call it and when i do call it via my landline here in Germany I simply get bumped off before i can speak with a person

I am so seriously stressed!!

I need to receive sms via my Aus mobile to access internet banking and other important services and am now feeling incredibly overwhelmed and stressed by all of this.

if anyone has helpful input, please, please share with me!

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Unless some one has better knowledge than me?

I would be posting your grievances  via the Telstra Twitter and face book pages, As they are monitored by Telstra.

https://twitter.com/Telstra

https://www.facebook.com/Telstra/

You could try the numbers, listed at the bottom of here. especially if you speak a second language

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/calling-overseas-from-australia

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more