wyndham10
Level 1: Cadet

"The number you have called is not available..."

There have been multiple posts about this problem, none of which have received a clear answer and all of which are closed. At random, I am unable to call certain numbers, and get a voice message saying "The number you have called is not available from this service".

It is land lines and mobiles.

My phone bill is fully paid.

My phone is the latest model.

I'm in Sydney.

I am on the phone to the Telstra technical team who don't even recognise the problem.

Can someone - anyone - suggest a solution?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: "The number you have called is not available..."

It could be a SIM that is faulty or not seated correctly. Turn the phone off, remove the SIM, give it a quick (gentle) wipe with a clean cloth and reinsert it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
wyndham10
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you, Jupiter. In fact it isn't that. But I think I know what it is.

Some numbers end up stored as international numbers, with the first zero in brackets; e.g. +61 (0) 417 345 678. It seems that the network sometimes takes an active dislike to these numbers and will not let me (and, it seems, others) call numbers that are stored like this.

Going into "Contacts" and changing the number to +61 417 345 678 seems to solve the problem. Who would have guessed? Anyway, I'll leave this post here and perhaps it will assist some poor schmuck in the future who would otherwise spend hours in fruitless conversation with the technical team!

Dowser
Level 22: Superhuman

Look at the format of the "certain numbers", and compare them to numbers that do work.

Jupiter

Well yes, that would make sense. Brackets are invalid characters when used for international format numbers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

It appears that you posted yesterday while I was typing.

The issue is created by the extra 0.

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more